using red oak for a guitar build

MichaelYoung

• Members

The Wikipedia entry says that the Red Special's neck is Mahogany, made from a fireplace mantle, with an Oak fingerboard. Even at that, I don't think it was a Red Oak fingerboard, but can't be sure.

Red Oak sucks for guitars. Heavy, massively porous, and damping. White Oak is a different story. If you want to try something different, then see if you can find some Honduran Rosewood. Still a bit heavy, but rings like a Marimba bar. Lots of alternatives, including easier things to find including figured Cherry.

• Members

I understand your desire to go cheap, but I would urge you to reconsider.... you'll be putting a lot of time and effort into it, and in the end, will saving a few bucks on materials be worth it? If you look around, you are sure to find a lot of woods that are better than oak for not a lot of money. Having said that, my very first guitar build was an oak body, and it sounded fine.

• Members

Oak will burn up your tools cutting it.

I did a Walnut top to a semihollowbody Tele recently.

The Wood was over 200 years old and hard as a rock.

I burned up two router bits just cutting the pickup routes.

{censored} was so hard you would have thoght I had a Bar-B Que going in a hurricane.

There was so much smoke pouring out of there I nearly suffocated cutting it.

It was worth it though. Its extremely difficult to find a single piece of walnut

like that. It wound up being one of my sweetest sounding guitars.

• Members

If you're wanting cheap, go with poplar or silver maple. I'd take either of those over oak for a guitar.

EG

Both are OK for the body. For the neck, I'd recommend not using these unless you're building in some Graphite bar reinforcement. I've made a couple necks with Silver Maple and found them to be both unstable in terms of movement and not very stiff on their own. Eastern or Rock Maple is usually available at practically any hardwoods lumberyard. So is Khaya Mahogany for that matter.

• Members

Again, maybe with CF reinforcement, but then again I haven't done it and haven't seen any poplar necks that I can remember. Build one and see what you think. If it doesn't work, then either replace the neck or build another guitar. If that's too much time and expense to do, then build with something you know will work even if it's a bit more expensive. The concept of "false economy" applies.

Archived