Guitar Fetish claims that GFS pickups can compete against any boutique brand...

skunky_funk

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not being pro- or anti-GFS, all 'can competes with' means is if you have one guitar with GFS pickups and another one with Fralins/Antiquites/Fralins etc... you can, in fact, play each guitar and see how they compete.

:idk:

:lol:

In general, I've preferred other brands but I have one guitar with an Alnico II in the neck and other guitars with 57 Classics, Seth Lovers etc and I've got to admit, the GFS is absolutely on par with the other two and I have no desire to replace it.

Having said that, on average, they do not 'win' such competitions in my opinion and I've had several sets of HBs and single coils. Their non-overwound single coils are, generally, very decent pickups for the money comparing new GFS vs new Duncans vs new Fenders.

• Members

I haven't tried all of their pickups, but the ones I have (including alnico fatbody and lil puncher tele pickups) are quite good. In fact the alnico fatbody neck pickup is possibly the finest tele neck pickup I've ever used.

• Members

I have used a few GFS pups and can vouch for that. They sure can compete. The only guitar I have left with GFS pups is my dot with some of their filtertron copies in it. They sound lovely. Had a pair of their Fat Pats in a guitar a while ago and they sounded really nice for the price. I would stay away from anything hot like the Crunchy Pats, hard to get cleans out of em.

• Members

I have a pair of their HBs in a Jackson Flying V that previously had EMG 81s in it. I hate EMGs and the GFS ones I put in it made a huge difference. I also have one of their single coil sized humbuckers made for teles in my Squier CV tele. It turned it into a beast.

Earlier today I ordered one of the VEH buckers to replace the bridge pickup on my Epi G400 1966 Silverburst. Won't know if I'll like it until I put it in but from the clips I heard of it on youtube, I'm optimistic.

• Members

I always refer to Wagdogs sound clips. His grey bottom GFS pickups "competed" very well with his Custom Shop Texas Specials. In fact, half of the guys on here couldn't tell which was the expensive set (thought I don't think they will admit so search for the thread). Then Wagdog did ANOTHER comparison with his all GFS parts Strat against his SRV Strat, and this time, over half of the people on here thought the GFS guitar was the SRV strat. That says something about how they sound.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't really like GuitarFetish, their products, or even Jay, but I will admit that if you can't SEE the name brand you will not be able to HEAR the difference. Build quality however, is a different story. They may not look as nice as Dimarzio and sometimes the magnets on the GFS pickups have a lot of production marks on them.

So for the price point, they are pretty good. I were a fan boy I would put them in any Squier, Samick, or other cheap guitar, but in all honesty, I would never consider them for a nice quality guitar. Truth be told, I have been disappointed with everything I have ever ordered from GFS, so I don't plan on buying anything from them anytime soon (yeah I said it).

• Members

Advertising copy can make anything from factual to outrageous claims. There's currently a TV commercial for one of those medical alert systems that has some old gal claiming her medical alert bracelet (or whatever it is) makes her feel younger. :facepalm:

Depending on which set you get, GFS pickups can range in tone from meh to pretty decent. I've replaced all of the GFS pickups in my Strats, but I've also spent a good bit more money in doing so. For example, I recently purchased a used set of Fralin Vintage Hots w/bridge baseplate for $165. IMO, that's a lot of dosh for a used set of pickups, but damn do they sound sweet!

Archived