Vantage Guitars

Roy

• Members

I've always thought used was a better deal. Lotsa people here tout their cheap guitars but I've yet to see a Vantage owner. These are smokin' guitars and seem to be an undiscovered goldmine. Many models have beautiful neck thru bodies or set neck LPs. I used to own a nice highend VS series with a brass nut , saddle and bridge. Gave it to my bro-inlaw 20 years ago and he still has it. A nice matsumoku made VS from the late '70s or early '80s goes for about $300-$350. There are some beauties on Ebay right now. So why aren't you guys all over these things?

• Members

I have a Vantage 635 (335 copy.) Played one in a store and started searching for one on eBay. I found one after a few months. Like an idiot I sold it. But I found another just last year. It is indeed a great guitar. The pickups are especially interesting on this guitar - They sound a lot like unpotted Seth Lovers but with a lot more bass like the '57 Classics. So the bass is a little "floppy" but the high end makes up for it.

The ones I have experience with were made in Korea by Samick. The Japanese ones go for quite a lot more. But I like the Samick ones just fine. In fact, Samick also made a 335 copy under their own label which should be as nice as the Vantage. I have two Samicks right now.

Funny thing about the 635 I have now: It has a label that says "Vantage Epiphone." I guess it's also exactly the same body as the Epiphone.

• Members

I tried to talk a buddy out of an old Vantage Flying V a couple years ago - had no electronics and was missing most of the hardware, but it was a good body and neck

couldn't get him to let go, and I bet it's still sitting in the corner by the tv collecting dust :(

• Members

I've always thought used was a better deal. Lotsa people here tout their cheap guitars but I've yet to see a Vantage owner. These are smokin' guitars and seem to be an undiscovered goldmine. Many models have beautiful neck thru bodies or set neck LPs. I used to own a nice highend VS series with a brass nut , saddle and bridge. Gave it to my bro-inlaw 20 years ago and he still has it. A nice matsumoku made VS from the late '70s or early '80s goes for about $300-$350. There are some beauties on Ebay right now. So why aren't you guys all over these things?

"Uncle Mat" is your friend:D I used to be all over those kinds of MIJ Matsumoku guitars when they were going for $50-$150 a pop. I have had my share. I talk about them now as little as possible because the price just seems to keep climbing as time goes on.

• Members

I still have my Vantage fretless bass form '82. Sounds and plays great but it's really friggin' neck heavy. A 4 inch leather strap helps a lot.

My guitar was well balanced.

• Members

"Uncle Mat" is your friend:D I used to be all over those kinds of MIJ Matsumoku guitars when they were going for $50-$150 a pop. I have had my share. I talk about them now as little as possible because the price just seems to keep climbing as time goes on.

Please don't read this thread. :)

• Members

I have 3 Matt's, they are great, and I was picking them up for @ $100, I have AV-330MX, AV325, X-77, 1st & 3rd all original, 2nd moded, but the ones mentioned are really nice. I was considering collecting them but then the prices started going up, I watched one on ebay go for $730, think it was a VS performer series. I thought I was the only one in on this secret back then but NOT!! Great stuff. Thanks for bringing in a Vantage thread.

• Members

A Vantage Avenger was literally my first electric guitar...got it from my parents on Christmas morning when I was 10.

It was a MIJ model, and had a single splittable humbucker, and a great, great maple neck. 25+ years later, it's still an excellent guitar...

FWIW, I'm surprised more people haven't heard of Vantage , either. They blew away what Ibanez was offering at the time...

• Members

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/models.html

I love that site, are you on the forums over there ArKay? I am, but haven't been on in awhile. Love those guitars.

Mojo, right on, I love the Avengers, great guitars, great necks. I love the body shape, one of my favorites, and really dig the headstock shape too. I would love to see them to come back offering high quality guitars. Too bad they went downhill after Matt. Someone should buy the name and offer them again.

Dewees, love them pickups. I need a replacement original OH450, found one on ebay and won for $25 but I didn't have the money in time (problem with account) so I lost out, still so pissed about that one, cuz I'm trying to restore my AV325, it's the same red one as in the catalog from that site. Beautiful figure Japanese Ash on the body too, but it was chopped up for a FloydRose, not by me, so alott of work needs to go into this restoration, and need money to find the parts when I do. I think the tuners are the only thing still original that I have, need bridge/pickups/knobs. One day. I'm all excited now thinking about it. They're all in storage though, I wish I could take pix for here. Just found my X-77 for $80 at a store. Got the AV-330MX at the pawn shop for $100. x77 is black, like catalog, and 330MX is matte silver, but the SC350 single coils are kinda weird and the bridge is very tone robbing but it might be cuz it's so dirty, gotta try taking it all apart and cleaning. Maybe that'll help the pickup weirdness perception. the x77 is heavy too, catalog says jap ash , whereas the others just say jap ash and appear to be sandwiched, 3 pieces, so maybe that's why. Glad that site came along, I was looking for info for awhile and there wasn't much at all out there. Gosh, now I'm just babbling. Uncle Matt ROCKS!!! :blah: :blah: :blah:

• Members

"Vantage, Electra, Westone, Skylark, old Washburns:thu: :thu: :thu: " +1 and add MIJ aria on that list.:thu: Locally, I pick them up if they are in good condition and around $100 whenever I see them. "FWIW, I'm surprised more people haven't heard of Vantage , either. They blew away what Ibanez was offering at the time..." Can't agree with that one, Ibanez had plenty of killer MIJ guitars in the 70's and 80's, but they are on par.

• Members

A buddy of mine got a Vantage Avenger for X-Mas way back. While it was kind'a ugly, and the parts were obviously cheap, it played well, had a nice neck and sounded pretty good. He's still got it, and it has to be 25 years old.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

A Vantage Avenger was literally my first electric guitar...got it from my parents on Christmas morning when I was 10.

It was a MIJ model, and had a single splittable humbucker, and a great, great maple neck. 25+ years later, it's still an excellent guitar...

FWIW, I'm surprised more people haven't heard of Vantage , either. They blew away what Ibanez was offering at the time...

I'm the proud owner of a Vantage Avenger now too. Was pawn shopping after work and stumbled on one. Really nice git. Pics and thread this weekend sometime.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Here's what I'm talkin' about. This thing went for $228 on Ebay a few weeks ago.

vantagemx5.jpg

Hey, that's my guitar! I never see it anywhere else.

I've had it since 1985 and have used it constantly. Here are some of my YouTube recordings of solos using it (and and old Peavey studio Pro 40 amp bought used in 1985 as well):

http://www.youtube.com/user/YazGuitarChannel?feature=mhee

I can't even remember what the model is called now.

My best friend at the time had a Vantage (maybe an Avenger, and funny shaped black guitar), and my younger brother also got a Vantage guitar (looked made from a single piece of wood, cherry and black sunburst type finish, with single/humbucker switches for three pickups I think.)

Archived