So I just picked up a blackface Bassman...

Preacher

• Members

Quite literally actually. Found it in the trash - really.:eek:

According to the tube chart it's an AB165 - and it otherwise looks like a '66 or '67. Check out the "output adjust" mod - from the caps it looks like it was done around '74 or '75.

I haven't plugged it in yet as it still has the original cord (in really rough shape) and I want to convert it to 3-prong and get the grounding sorted first.

Anyway, does anyone know where I could get a 3-prong receptacle to replace the current "accessory" outlet on the back panel? Mojo is all out. Thanks for any help in that.

EDIT: Which Tubes do you like to run in a Bassman?

Oh, and any tips?

And pics...

HPIM1227.jpg

HPIM1230.jpg

HPIM1234.jpg

HPIM1232.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was in a pile of crap - looks like somebody was just cleaning out the basement - and it smells like it spent some serious time there. No other music stuff though. Or maybe somebody else got there before me...:lol:

• Members

the bassman looks incredibly simple on the inside. seems like an easy clone, am i missing something?

but besides that, i wish i could find {censored} like that in the trash. even if you sent that too an amp tech, youd still have one hell of a deal

• Members

Nice score!

Check under the 'doghouse' on the other side of the chassis. I'd bet you've still got original filter caps. Those have got to go.

Looks like it's been repaired once - the two 0.1uF turquoise caps in the phase inverter are replaced, but all the other caps on the board are original. I'd guess '67 from the brown coupling caps. Transitional - half blue tubes, half brown.

That and the 8/16/67 date stamped on the chassis :).

• Members

Oh fine, bring common sense into this...:rolleyes::D

I've since checked the filter caps, no paper here. Someone might have changed these in the early '80s if I'm reading the caps right (which I'm probably not).

Thanks for the info!

• Members

Thanks! Yeah, I never find anything like this. Actually my non-guitar-player buddy saw it and called me, saying "hey, there's an amp up here in this pile of trash and I think it's a Fender - you might want to check it out."

I figured it would be a starter solid state amp. Needless to say, I was hyped.

• Members

Oh fine, bring common sense into this...
:rolleyes::D

I've since checked the filter caps, no paper here. Someone might have changed these in the early '80s if I'm reading the caps right (which I'm probably not).

Thanks for the info!

Oh, it also had a power tube short out at one point, and take out the screen resistor, which has been replaced with a nice 5W cement job.

Nice score! My BF bassman is pretty hacked - it's now sort of a Marshall circuit. :facepalm:

• Members

Oh, it also had a power tube short out at one point, and take out the screen resistor, which has been replaced with a nice 5W cement job.

I know this is a dumb question, but what's supposed to be there?

• Members

I know this is a dumb question, but what's supposed to be there?

Stock it's a 2W 470 ohm resistor, like the one that's on the other tube socket.

The 5W cement is better, if it's the same value. Don't sweat it. Note that the tech pulled it away from the socket a bit to let the heat dissapate. Good work. :thu:

Output tubes looks like 80's vintage Phillips - which are still available from old military stock. They're probably fine.

Archived