Ever get Bored with guitar?

steve_man

• Members

I know that there are times...which come along every few months...where I just get kinda bored with my guitar playing. Not enough to give it up or anything...just to where it's not something I focus on as much for a bit... Nothing wrong with my gear, still get to play at church every week...just not that "into" playing on my own at times...

surely I'm not alone in this....:idk:

• Members

Nop! Wish I had more time to spend with it! Always something new I want to learn and play. Mind you I don't get bored ever. I learned a long time ago bordom is a state of mind you put yourself in and I don't have any time for that state of mind. Drives me nuts when my kids tell me they are bored. I just tell them they are the only ones who can do anything about it!

• Members

No.

What I try to do is always have some lesson/material that is out of my league that I'm working on. Study more theory, and apply it to my playing, that sort of thing. Keeps things fresh, and generates some new ideas and directions.

I do understand where you're coming from, btw.

• Members

Not really. I get board with Strats and hardtails, but give me a 24 frets and a floyd and I never seem to get enough.

I also get board with single channel amps that have no effects in front. But put some pedals out front and there is always more to find. Everybtime I pick up a guitar something new and fun comes up within about 15 to 30 minuets, been at it for 19 years too.

Something that opened the doors for me was to learn all the modes in every key, so I eventually got past learning the neck and now can just play.

• Members

I'd probably be 5 times the guitarist I am now if I wouldn't put down and forget about my guitar for prolonged periods of time.

After 12 years of playing I feel like I'm only run of the mill for someone that's been doing it for so long...

I felt pretty much the same at 12 years in. I could play my songs, and I thought they were cool, but I wasn't really confedent in my palying. I then took the aproch that whenever I felt stuck, or board, that I would focuse on learning something new. As soon as I would learn some new chords, or a little bit more about how the neck worked I would find myself back in the zone where I had lots of new doors opening up.

I recommend the books Chord Chemistry and The Advancing Guitarist to open up some doors. Both great books that will give you years of info to chew on.

Another thing that was a huge help to me was Paul Gilbert's Intense rock volume one and two. Guys might think that it's only shredder stuff, but really that info can be used by any guitarist. It's a thorough course on how the fretboard works and some great playing approach tips. It's up to you to apply that info, but you can take it and really expand your ability to create chords and leads.

One last thing that I really enjoy having is a looping pedal. It forced me to create 30 second chord loops that I could then do leads over. This did amazing things for my lead abilities and song creation. I use the Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man, but there are several good choices out there.

Chord-Chemistry

http://www.amazon.com/Chord-Chemistry-Ted-Greene/dp/0898986966

The Advancing Guitarist

http://www.amazon.com/Advancing-Guitarist-Mick-Goodrick/dp/0881885894/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330623724&sr=1-1

Paul Gilbert's Intense rock volume one and two,

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Gilbert-Intense-Rock-Vol/dp/0739040375/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1330623801&sr=1-1-catcorr

Electro-Harmonix-Stereo-Memory-Man looper

http://www.amazon.com/Electro-Harmonix-Stereo-Memory-Man-Hazarai/dp/B000W4VR9M/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1330624346&sr=1-1-catcorr

• Members

I think I have a tendency to bite off more than I can chew and it's one of the reasons why I rarely get bored with guitar. When I struggle with something simple, I try to complicate it rather than simplify it. I'm not really on board with the idea that electric guitar isn't a solo instrument. I think it can absolutely support itself and have multiple things going on. It's better that way.

Archived