getting a blues jr. VS Sansamp Gt2

mikejungle

• Members

i'm mainly a bass player so i have no guitar amp. just two bass amps...a big 750 watt one and a 100 watt smaller one. They both give what i think is a good clean sound. But i was wondering if i should get a new amp or if i should just get a gt2 and use that with my bass amp. I used to own one but i gave it to my guitarist and he loves it. Now i want one again so i hit this dilemma.

Guitar playing is strictly for my own pleasure so i don't have to worry about people thinking "wtf is that dude doing with a bass amp on stage" sorta thing.

• Members

i posted in the effects forum, but what do i do for reverb ? I want that SRV on Lenny sound and i thought a fender amp with reverb would do et, but now i'm not sure what to do.

i heard the fender reverb boss pedal isn't great. or is it okay?

are there others?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't believe in modelling and would take a tube amp any day of the week

The Blues Jr. isn't bad for the price. It's no dream amp, but it's only $400 - don't ask for too much.

And yes, the DS-1 is a miserable pedal. This isn't going to make things any easier, but here ya go: http://www.tonefactor.com

Some seriously good stuff there. You might think production pedals are alright until you play the boutique stuff...big difference to my ears

• Members

Absolutely nothing wrong with the GT2. I've got a trademark 10 (which is a GT2 with a 10 watt amp attached), and I regularly play it through my Pro Jr. and it sounds great - I have tried distortion pedals (DS-1 and one or two others) and find the GT2 (AKA TM10) much more flexible. You can get a variety of tones from just-on-the-edge-of-breakup to full-out fuzz from that little box. I think if you put a GT2 in front of your bass amp, you'll get some fine tones.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

You should figure out to what extent you want to use your amp. If you're just going to play at home the Blues Jr. might be too much amp for home use depending on how your neighbors are. If you're just going to messing around with it, paying $400 for an amp you may not be able to fully crank might not be worth it.

If you're going to be playing at home I would recommend a 1 watt amp (5 watt amp max). I just bought a Blackstar 1 watt head and it's great. I would recommend the Blackstar 1 watt combo. It's only $249 as opposed to $400 for the Blues Jr. Again, with only 1 watt you would be able to get everything out of that little amp or head that you need.

To be honest, if you're willing to spend $400 on just the Blues Jr. alone you could probably buy a low wattage amp AND the Sans Amp.

Archived