Ronnie Montrose died. NOT A JOKE.

AVisme

• Members

Man, prostate cancer is a weird thing. You can literally remove the entire organ and still die from the cancer it was producing - years later even. It's the third most deadly cancer (that is to say that the third most amount of people die from it - not that it's the third least curable), almost matching the second most (breast cancer [lung cancer is the first most, of course]).

• Members

Seen him w/Haggar a couple of years ago and it was excellent! One of the best RIP...

rmpic1.jpg

From his site:

Ronnie Montrose ~ 1947-2012

A few months ago, we held a surprise party for Ronnie Montrose's 64th birthday. He gave an impromptu speech, and told us that after a long life, filled with joy and hardship, he didn't take any of our love for granted.

He passed today. He'd battled cancer, and staved off old age for long enough. And true to form, he chose his own exit the way he chose his own life. We miss him already, but we're glad to have shared with him while we could.

• Members

That's sad news. I bought the 1st Montrose album when I was in college.

montrose%20lp%20mar30.jpg

I bought it in junior high school! And played it - the vinyl - just a couple of weeks ago. Bad news, indeed. My father and I are both prostate cancer survivors. Get you numbers checked, boys.

• Members
"Open Fire" rivaled Beck's "Blow by Blow" for best guitar instrumental album of the 70s, in my view. His version of
Town Without Pity
has always been a favorite.

Ronnie-Montrose---Open-Fire-1978-Front-C

Thanks for the tip about that album, I just downloaded it from eMusic. I've never heard it before. I have heard Ronnie's version of Town Without Pity on youtube, tho. Good stuff :thu:

Archived