Is Jimi really the best guitarist of all-time?

Kuz929

• Members

:idk:

What do you think? Ive honestly never really been able to get behind Hendrix. His songs always seem too jumbled and disorganized. Same goes for his playing style.

So many times he is the #1 Player of all time on whatever magazine, but does he really deserve to be there?

Hear me out-

I think first we have to decide what "greatest guitar player" means, and sadly, it has different meaning for different people. To me, it means the most proficient at their instrument. Undoubtedly THE BEST master of his (or her :cop: ) craft. And to me, thats not Jimi.

Now, Most Innovative guitarist of all time? Jimi. 100%. He did things with the electric guitar that are still more than relevant in today's musical world. He basically "invented" modern playing.

So what say you? Best Guitarist of all time? Best innovator? Or does "best" mean "innovator" to you? :idk: Just wondering if I'm alone on this thought process or not :wave:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know if I'd consider him the best, but he is definitely one of my favorites. He was not a "clean" technical player, but I always feel like he's taking unbelievable risk with every phrase and solo he played; like the train would fly off the tracks at any second but somehow it all stays together and is beautiful.

I can only dream of what he'd be creating if he were still alive.

• Members

I don't know if I'd consider him the best, but he is definitely one of my favorites. He was not a "clean" technical player,
but I always feel like he's taking unbelievable risk with every phrase and solo he played; like the train would fly off the tracks
at any second but somehow it all stays together and is beautiful.

Interesting- the very thing that doesn't appeal to me about him is the very thing that appeals to you. he did take risks. and that IS what lead to his innovation.

• Members

On purely technical skills, Jimi is not the greatest. Sounds or a feeling were more important to Jimi than technical perfection. Jimi gets a lot of love and respect because his songs and playing have stood the test of time. He was THE guy along with Clapton in the 60s and to many, his star hasn't diminished at all. He was an innovator in that he borrowed from Muddy, Clapton, Beck, Buddy Guy and Curtis Mayfield ( I love Jimi's Curtis inspired rhythm stuff ALOT) and others and came up with an original style. Nobody appeals to EVERYONE but Jim's freak flag is still wavin' proudly. I saw him on his first American Tour. He was fresh, hungry and out to prove something. Maybe I caught him on a good night but Jimi was SCARY good.

• Members

On purely technical skills, Jimi is not the greatest. Sounds or a feeling were more important to Jimi than technical perfection. Jimi gets a lot of love and respect because his songs and playing have stood the test of time. He was THE guy along with Clapton in the 60s and to many, his star hasn't diminished at all. He was an innovator in that he borrowed from Muddy, Clapton, Beck, Buddy Guy and Curtis Mayfield ( I love Jimi's Curtis inspired rhythm stuff ALOT) and others and came up with an original style. Nobody appeals to EVERYONE but Jim's freak flag is still wavin' proudly.
I saw him on his first American Tour. He was fresh, hungry and out to prove something. Maybe I caught him on a good night but Jimi was SCARY good

Thats awesome!! I think there may be a generational gap as well here. I'm a mere 24 years young, so I didn't have the opportunity to grow up while the guitar was being innovated. I was kinda "born" into it more or less. So to me, Jimi's playing actually wasnt the first playing in that style that I heard. I didn't come across Jimi until I was older and had the wherewithal to look into my musical roots.

• Members

It's personal, really and that's all that matters. More people cite Jimi as their favorite guitarist/influence than any other guitarist I can think of. Personally my biggest influence and who I like to think I model my playing after most is Jimmy Page and I certainly think he's up there with Jimi as one of the big dawgs of the guitar.

I'm only talking about rock music here, it wouldn't even be fair for anyone to compare Jimi to your Les Pauls, Djangos, and Charlie Christians.

• Members

Yes, he is.

Also all you've done is point out what you perceive to have been his shortcomings. For him to not be the Best Guitarist of All Time one would have to identify the person who actually is ...

• Members

No. The frightening thing is that you can see more accomplished guitar players tonight at the club down the street.

For his time, he was an amazing electric guitarist. Now? Pretty damned good.

He was a pioneer in a way that is unique, no doubt, but if you throw a rock, these days, you will likely hit a guy or girl that can play blistering electric guitar that rivals the quality of Hendrix circa 1967.

• Members

What do you think? Ive honestly never really been able to get behind Hendrix. His songs always seem too jumbled and disorganized. Same goes for his playing style.

Really? Purple Haze jumbled and disorganized? Manic Depression? Wind Cries Mary? Gypsy Eyes? Axis: Bold as Love? His 3-4 minute 'pop' style tunes are pretty damn tight, imho. Yeah, he's got long sci-fi epics, which I love, but Jimi was a fantastic songwriter. I don't hear 'jumbled and disorganized' at all.

Whether or not any guitarist is the "best" is a dumb question because there are so many aspects of making music. Best what? Best vibrato? Fastest at string-skipping arpeggios? Widest repertoire? Best sight reader? Best classical player? Blues? Metal? Jazz? Latin jazz? Bebop? There is no best, only favorite.

There are 9 year old girls on youtube shredding circles around him

That doesn't make them better guitarists.

I would rate him very high - his playing was and is still amazing and innovative. He had it all.

• Members

For what it's worth -- the term 'best' is, in this context, virtually meaningless. The best at WHAT, exactly?

Playing fast? Using lots of exotic scales? Do we mean 'best' as in Segovia, John McLaughlin, Joe Pass, Yngwie Malmsteen, Albert Lee, Gary Moore (or fill in your virtuoso of choice)?

However, if we're talking about the player whose work has given me the most pleasure, the most excitement, the most stimulus for the imagination, the deepest emotional reaction ... it's Jimi Hendrix.

• Members

He made the best rock guitar players in his time jaws drop. Nobody has that effect these days.

Best ever "Rock Guitarist" in context of when he arrived I'd say yes.

Just before he passed, he was heavily moving towards jazz on acoustic and used to jam with Miles Davis.

• Members

Jimi is not technicially not the best. He was the most creative. Jimmy Page is in there too. The two big reasons I even bothered to learn guitar is Jimmi, and Jimmy. Clapton excited me too - at least when hew was in Cream.

Jimmi was an INVENTOR of music. That is why I set him above others that are technically better players.

Archived