The new Ibanez premium S's!

dres_x

• Members

Found some pics and some interesting features! First off, they both have a cutaway at the back of the lower horn allowing easy access to the upper frets! 2nd: the back of the neck on the s920e is painted black! Looks like its a satin finish though (you can see the tape marks at the top of the neck)

Anyway, enjoy!

Ibanez-S970CW-NT-FPK-03022-rw-1917.jpg

Ibanez-S970CW-NT-FPK-03022-rw-1918.jpg

Ibanez-S970CW-NT-FPK-03022-rw-1919.jpg

Ibanez-S970CW-NT-FPK-03022-rw-1920.jpg

Ibanez-S970CW-NT-FPK-03022-rw-1922.jpg

Ibanez-S970CW-NT-FPK-03022-rw-1923.jpg

Ibanez-S970CW-NT-FPK-03022-rw-1924.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah the black one looks really sleek! It's making me rethink my rule about not buying any black guitars XD

I'm really hoping they release a blue quilted one like their prestige model :p those are way too expensive for me :p

• Members

They don't look very "premium" to me, honestly. I mean the finish on the brown one is upscale but that style of bolt on construction just has a cheap look about it, to me. Plus the back is more plastic than wood.

Same construction as some J-Customs that cost $3k+...the AANJ is great to play, and the 'plastic' back is a plate covering a trem cavity-not much you can do about that?

• Members

Same construction as some J-Customs that cost $3k+...the AANJ is great to play, and the 'plastic' back is a plate covering a trem cavity-not much you can do about that?

You could get rid of the trem! That'd be a huge improvement, IMO. :p And the control cavity seems kinda huge. Regardless, I know it's solid, the look of it just bugs me. Especially with the flat black sort of finish. I don't see why they don't just make them a set neck or neck-thru, if they're using a non-standard neck pocket anyway.

• Members

What's that thing that looks like a huge screw in the trem cavity in the back?

It's the thumb wheel for adjusting the spring tension. The ZR (ZERO Resistance) trem system is one of Ibanez's proprietary designs. The bridge pivots on roller bearings instead of a knife edge. Below is a more detail description fro the Ibanez website.

ZR TREMOLO - This unique system stabilizes the bridge and insures tuning stability by consistently returning the tremolo to the center point (or zero point). In addition to the usual tremolo springs, the Zero Point System features two additional springs which insures the bridge

• Members

The only thing that sticks out to me about the Premiums I've seen is the price tag. I'm not sure what these cost, but the other models I've seen have been in the $900 range which seems a bit high for an Indonesian guitar. At that price you aren't that far away from a Japanese Prestige.

• Members

Yeah just a little info on the premiums from Ibanez Rules (an awesome site for any Ibby head) "In a joint venture, Hoshino Gaki and Fujigen have purchased a portion of this factory, sent their finest craftsman to train the employees, and several have stayed behind to oversee operations to maintain the expected high degree of quality. Premium guitars are based on J Custom quality, without the J Custom price. These guitars feature select wood, Japanese trained craftsmanship, close tolerance, neck profile like Prestige Wizard [not Wizard 2!], and Dimarzio pickups. To keep costs down they're using figured wood veneers instead of 4mm tops, so you get the high end look without the huge price tag"....i ordered the RG921QMF fixed bridge RG...it retails for $899....the comparitive Prestige RG3521 goes for $1599 so its quite a bit more for a Prestige..so these are awesome guitars for the money, dont yall be so quick to dismiss due to the Indo orgins....even though ive had nothing but great regular Indo Ibbys, these guitars are clearly a big step above.

• Members

Are they any lighter than a typical SG or
?

Some Ibanez S guitars weigh less than 4 lbs while an SG weighs between 7 and 8 lbs. But more than the weight, the thinness of the neck and body are what make it feel like a toy to me. A very pretty and expensive toy.

• Members

Eck, they are pretty but I can imagine they yield the thinnest tone imaginable. These guitars are made for people with no muscles. They feel like you are holding air.

Actually, I've got an old MIJ S and that thing sounds HUGE! When I'm playing it, it feels like I'm driving a sleek racecar vs an old pickup truck :)

• Members

Yeah, my old S sounds huge. I love how thin body must = thin tone. It's an electric guitar, not an acoustic - your pickups do the majority of the work.

The pickups amplify the acoustic tone of your guitar. If it sounds thin unplugged it will sound thin plugged in. I'm not saying they sound bad, but tonally compare it to a les paul. Same amp, same settings and the LP will sound like a MONSTER next to the Ibanez. The ibanez will sound like a toy.

Archived