Anti Neck-Dive Tips

mschafft

• Members

Hey there,

this is just to sum up what has been working best some of my guitars after various attempts to deal with neck-heavy guitars. The following measures are listed from best to worst. There is a price approximation too. These are not exclusive, you may solve the problem by combining several measures. Anyone who can come up with other tips is welcome to join.

Please let's AVOID the obvious "get used to neck-dive" or "it's never bothered me" or "you shouldn't have bought the guitar in the first place" or "sell it on and get a more balanced one" discussions.

Hope this helps.

Better Measures

- Change for a heavier body on a bolt-on : perfect (150-500$ depending on wood, finish...)

- Put lighter tuners : can solve the problem in some cases (50-70$ + work)

- Use a cotton strap : excellent result (hard to find one because nylon is all over the place, here is a nice cotton one : levy's MSSC8) (15-25$)

- Use a suede strap : works but uncomfortable (in my own humble shoulder's opinion) - more expensive (40-70$)

- Use Dunlop strap locks (I'm talking about model SLS1031N for example) : helps a little because the strap is clicked in at the top of the pin so it makes your upper horn virtually 1 cm longer (on Strats, LPs, Teles, ... but not on SGs..). Neck-heavy guitars tend to require strap locks anyway IMO. (25$)

- Tie the strap to the headstock as on an acoustic : works with some shapes of headstock, does not look right with every style of guitar/music IMHO. (2$) [edit : can alter intonation between sitting and standing]

So-so measures :

- Use a strap loaded with lead (heads-up and the likes) : the strap is wide (would look better on a bass than a guitar) and the lead keeps bumping in the guitar's body when you pick up the guitar or put it down. (40-70$)

- Load the control cavity with lead : requires extra space available there, helps to a certain extent, reversible measure. Note : pay attention to pressure or shocks on control wiring and pots (15-30$)

Not so good ones

- Change strap pin locations : virtually useless and permanently damages the instrument, YMMV... (cost = loss of resale value on instrument) Note : thoroughly test balance with gaffer tape before drilling (you may find that the virtual improvement is not worth it)

- Add a Bigsby, an additional humbucker or active electronics : extreme measures because these should be added for what they do, not how much they weigh IMO. Note : test balance before re-routing or drilling of course... (150-300 $ approx.)

( Keywords : neck-dive, neck-heavy, unbalanced guitar, strap, weight, neck - heavy - dive )

• Members

Take the frets out. Lightens up the neck and you get some cool new tones. Seriously tho what guitars other than SGs are known for neck dive? I have an Epi SG but it has no neck dive. Is that only on Gibsons?

EDIT: I guess it does when Im sitting down. When I try to balance it on my knee it tips over if I let go of the neck, where as my Strat doesn't. I never really noticed before since I always hold the neck while I play. Standing up my big suede Levis strap balances it well.

• Members

Good news, have you got any pics ?

Not at home atm, so no. I moved it to the top horn, well just under to be precise, and it cured the problem.

I got sick of the bunched-up shirt thing caused by grippy straps.

Your point about resale value being affected is valid, although all my analog friends buy guitars and keep them, buying guitars you don't actually want seems to be an online fad.

• Members

How is changing the body acceptable, but changing the guitar not?

Both totally acceptable. Getting rid of the gear is probably a solution that everyone can figure out by themselves. But still worth mentioning, you're right.

• Members

Use a strap loaded with lead (heads-up and the likes)

This is what I did, and it worked much better for me than a suede strap ever has. I made it myself, so the lead doesn't interfere with playing at all. You can put it pretty much anywhere in the lower area of the strap and it'll work fine.

Not really sure why you'd replace a body, instead of just getting a new guitar, but that's just me.

• Members

Not really sure why you'd replace a body, instead of just getting a new guitar, but that's just me.

It was a light weight basswood tele body. The new body was an upgrade in terms of weight and looks (basswood as well so the tone didn't change much). That great MIJ neck totally deserved it.

• Members

I have lived with neck dive for 27 years because

no other bass sounds as good as mine does.

Wide straps made of soft fabric help.

You can get a seat belt cushion at Wall-Mart and

wrap that around the strap and that adds friction

and comfort. It won't slide down the strap like

other cushions do.

Tabdog

Archived