Need GFS Suggestion for neck pickup. Please Halp

diocide

• Members

So I've been without a neck pickup in one of my guitars and I have some extra scratch, so I want to fill the void as it were.

Anyway, my favorite neck pup of all time is the Dimarzio Paf Pro, so I;m looking for that type of sound. I've tried the Fat Pat and I am not very fond of it. It's way too bassy and muddy. The next GFS I want to try is either the Alnico II, which seems pretty close to the Paf Pro in terms of specs, or the Vintage 59 Alnico, which also seems pretty close.

Any of you guys want to steer me in the right direction? Alnico II or Vintage 59 Alnico?

• Members

Remember that the PAF Pro is hotter than a regular vintage style pickup. You might be better off with a VEH or a Crunchy PAT.

It only has a 8.7 DC output, that's not that hot... And honestly, it's the EQ of it that I really like. The lows are EXTREMELY tight which is what I'm looking for.

• Members

Some videos to help:

Alnico II Humbucker - Neck:

[video=youtube;hPoFWqW13Yo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPoFWqW13Yo

[video=youtube;NHCsLq_K-Z0]

Vintage 59 - Neck:

[video=youtube;t36vxziDv9o]

[video=youtube;O56IKD1edMQ]

[video=youtube;kAmp-OQjI18]

If you're limiting your choices to those two pickups from that one vendor, I'd say the clear winner is the Vintage 59.

Of course there are lots of other options, and I'm sure o6ther folks will tell you about them .... ;)

• Members

I replaced the Crunchy Pats in my Xaviere with Vintage 59s. Changed the guitar from a one-trick pony to a damn good Les Paul copy.

What's the construction of the guitar you want to put the pickup in (wood, set or bolt neck, etc.)?

• Members

I replaced the Crunchy Pats in my Xaviere with Vintage 59s. Changed the guitar from a one-trick pony to a damn good Les Paul copy.

What's the construction of the guitar you want to put the pickup in (wood, set or bolt neck, etc.)?

They're probably going to go in my basswood LTD 250 (bolt on with a floyd). I have the Paf Pro in a similar guitar and it sounds great (Jackson WRXT Warrior). I have a Fat Pat in a LTD H300 (set neck mahogany) and It's not my cup of tea.

• Members

Never really found a gfs pickup I liked for neck humbucker. The VEH sounds great in the bridge of a tele I have though.

The dimarzio PAF is the best sounding neck humbucker I've tried - it's what I have in my les paul custom.

Archived