Oiling the neck of a Floyd Rose guitar

Plaswuff

• Members

Last night I decided it was time for a new set of strings. I've owned the guitar for awhile now and I thought I'd give it a nice new coat of oil as well. I'm under the impression that, on a Floyd Rose, removing all the strings will do damage to the neck in the long term because of the application and release of tension, so, as suggested by the manual, Youtube vids and just about every other authority on string replacement, I changed the strings one by one. But cleaning and oiling is pretty tricky with five strings still on the guitar. I was oiling the top string area while the lower string area still needed cleaning, and I'm sure when I got round to cleaning the lower part I probably removed some of the oil on the top part. I probably got some oil on the strings as well.

What do other Floyd Rose users do when it comes time to oil up your fretboard?

Cheers.

• Members

If your worrreid about ruining your strings, oil it just before you change them next time.

Lay the guitar down on a table, then "dive bomb" the bar all the way and oil away i suppose.

Taking off all the strings at once on a floyd "will not" damage the neck in anyway.

I find it much easier to change them one at a time anyways.

Archived