Best Country Band Ever- The Rolling Stones?

harold heckuba

• Members

My favorite Stones albums are "Some Girls" and "Black and Blue".

Each album has some cuts that certainly seem like country music.

Songs like "Before They Make Me Run", "When The Whip Comes Down",

"Memory Motel" and even "Crazy Mama" and "Hand of Fate".

Strange dichotomy, they sound like country while todays "country" bands

sound nothing at all like country.

• Members

Mick Jagger, 1995: "I love Country music, but I find it very hard to take it seriously. I also think a lot of country music is sung with the tongue in cheek, so I do it tongue in cheek. The harmonic thing is very different from the blues. It doesn't bend notes in the same way, so I suppose it's very English, really. Even though it's been very Americanized, it feels very close to me, to my roots, so to speak."

Mick Jagger, 2003: "The 'Country' songs we recorded later, like Dead Flowers on Sticky Fingers or Far Away Eyes on Some Girls, are slightly different (than our earlier ones). The actual music is played completely straight, but it's me who's not going legit with the whole thing, because I think I'm a blues singer not a country singer - I think it's more suited to Keith's voice than mine."

He always wanted to be Merle.

• Members

Mick Jagger, 1995: "I love Country music, but I find it very hard to take it seriously. I also think a lot of country music is sung with the tongue in cheek, so I do it tongue in cheek. The harmonic thing is very different from the blues. It doesn't bend notes in the same way, so I suppose it's very English, really. Even though it's been very Americanized, it feels very close to me, to my roots, so to speak."

Mick Jagger, 2003: "The 'Country' songs we recorded later, like Dead Flowers on Sticky Fingers or Far Away Eyes on Some Girls, are slightly different (than our earlier ones). The actual music is played completely straight, but it's me who's not going legit with the whole thing, because I think I'm a blues singer not a country singer - I think it's more suited to Keith's voice than mine."

He always wanted to be Merle.

Lol. Mock Jagger, the goofiest most spastic and funniest clown of a front man i'm the history of music, finds it hard to take country music seriously.

I like the stones, I do, but seriousness?

All that is missing for Mock is the red rubber nose and the big red floppy shoes.

• Members

cKMoO0v-Ht4

They had a lot of influences and melded them together seamlessly. I saw a Gram Parsons documentary. In the documentary Keith Richards said he learned a lot about country music from Gram, while Gram learned a lot about early rock n' roll from Keith. This was around the time the Stones were living in France in 1971 during Exile on Main St. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_on_Main_St.). So, according to Keith a lot of the Stones country influence was a result of Gram Parsons.

• Members

i don't really consider many country artists as "bands" really. like, my very favorite country artist is waylon jennings; and waylon woulda been waylon regardless of who he was playing with. i'd say the same for the other "real" guys posted in here - merle, jerry reed, willie, gram (though i would possibly give credit to the flying burrito brothers as maybe fitting as a band, but really ... it was gram), etc.

that said, i'd have to argue that the best country "band" would have to be buck owens and the buckaroos; simply because as great as buck himself was - he wouldn't have sounded the same without don rich.

ps - i love the stones.

• Members

i don't really consider many country artists as "bands" really. like, my very favorite country artist is waylon jennings; and waylon woulda been waylon regardless of who he was playing with. i'd say the same for the other "real" guys posted in here - merle, jerry reed, willie, gram (though i would possibly give credit to the flying burrito brothers as maybe fitting as a band, but really ... it was gram), etc.

that said, i'd have to argue that the best country "band" would have to be buck owens and the buckaroos; simply because as great as buck himself was - he wouldn't have sounded the same without don rich.

ps - i love the stones.

I think in general you're right about that but I also think there are a some exceptions. Skynyrd, Asleep at the Wheel, and Bob Wills Texas Playboys are a few examples that come to mind of Country bands that became as famous in their own right as their front men and if push came to shove could have continued their success and remained a vital part of the scene without them. In fact I would venture to say that there is a good possibility that the front men of those bands wouldn't have become what they did without in large part being taken there by the success of their bands. In any case with bands like these at the very least the front man and the band are so tied together that they run the risk of losing it without each other.

Archived