Metal on a Strat or no??

codecontra

• Members

So I answer a CL ad for a band looking for a rhythm guitarist. I have never been in a band before. I send them a vid of me playing and they contact me. They all have experience and seem good at playing out and so forth. I'm a little nervous.

The problem is that I have an American Standard Strat, that's it. The ad said they were looking for rhythm guitar to play stuff like Pearl Jam, STP, Alice in Chains, etc. When I spoke with the guy though, he told me that A.) the lead guitar player moved out of town and B.) they also want to play heavier stuff like Pantera, Judas Priest, etc...

I'm kind of getting off track here..... I'm just wondering about playing Pantera and Priest and so forth on a Strat in a band situation. Maybe Priest? Any thoughts? I have never even played with a band let alone played out live. Granted I haven't gotten the gig yet, but they seemed to like my playing.

• Members

First, good luck...we're all counting on you...

Second, it's certainly possible to play second guitar metal parts on a strat...the tonal differences a strat provides,if applied properly, can add an interesting contrast...but you have to guard against the sound getting grating and harsh...amp settings are crucial...

• Members

+1 to Billy, add some rails/single spaced buckers in and you'll be good to go. If you want, you could go full humbucker which IMO is a more versatile option. Either way, your guitar will be fine.

Good luck with it man, playing out is good times.

• Members

Thanks for the input guys. The problem is that I am going to have to buy an amp to play in this band which will pretty much wipe me out for awhile in terms of $$. So no upgraded pickups, at least in the near future.

I'm thinking that for AIC, Pearl Jam, even Priest, I should be "ok". I mean there is not a ton of distortion with any of those bands. The Strat sounds pretty good with gain as long as it is not over saturated. Just not sure how it will mix with other instruments in a band situation at volume using single coils. I think a lot of people play with too much gain anyway, like even classic stuff. I just went and listened to some classic Priest and they barely use any gain at all.

• Members

Thanks for the input guys. The problem is that I am going to have to buy an amp to play in this band which will pretty much wipe me out for awhile in terms of $$. So no upgraded pickups, at least in the near future.

I'm thinking that for AIC, Pearl Jam, even Priest, I should be "ok". I mean there is not a ton of distortion with any of those bands. The Strat sounds pretty good with gain as long as it is not over saturated. Just not sure how it will mix with other instruments in a band situation at volume using single coils. I think a lot of people play with too much gain anyway, like even classic stuff. I just went and listened to some classic Priest and they barely use any gain at all.

You'll be fine with the strat. Better to start out on a guitar you're comfortable with. Just see how it goes, both with the band and the guitar.

If you do decide you need some hum tone I think it'd be best to pick up another guitar. You def don't have to spend much to get a fat humbucker tone these days.

• Members

dude, you can totally do metal on a standard strat. everyone is going to tell you to 'get this pickup' or 'change this to get the brootz'.

{censored} that. play your strat. play it well. that is all that matters.

Of course you can play metal on a strat but you can play it a lot better for a mere $60 pickup investment. Why settle? $60 is pocket change these days.

• Members

Dude's gotta buy an amp. I find that singles don't get along with certain rigs as well as humbuckers for making desirable driven tones. It's possible that the right humbucker and amp will be cheaper than an acceptable amp that works with the strat. It really depends on how his shopping goes with his guitar auditioning different amps in his price range.

• Members

Of course you can play metal on a strat but you can play it a lot better for a mere $60 pickup investment. Why settle? $60 is pocket change these days.

an upgrade in amp is going to be more beneficial in terms of tone than an upgrade in pickups, so if he should invest his money anywhere i'd say it would be on the amp.

and to some people $60 bucks may be pocket change, but to a lot of folks it's not. but that's neither here nor there...

• Members

I dont have 60 bucks lying around... :idk: pocket change :lol: pocket change for me is about $0.25

• Members

guitar pickups are probably the most important thing on a guitar.

you could try the EH LPB-1, thatll fatten your single coil up and add output.

1. watch video posted 2 posts above

2. Edit your statement

4. Profit

Archived