First Ever Gig Report! With Videos

kit_strong

• Members

I've done a couple of solo acoustic open mic nights (simple strum and sing stuff) and my forced recitals for my guitar instructor but this is the first time I've ever performed in a public place, with others, in front of people (granted not many people).

This weekend was the 3rd annual Catonsville Art Expo and I got roped into lining up music for the event and basically being the stage manager. I managed to line up some really great bands but figured if I was putting in all the time and effort to run this thing I might as well get up there and play myself.

The "venue" was the gym at the local community center where they play indoor soccer. It was basically one giant echo box so I knew the sound quality would suffer. Also it was an art expo, and not a music festival so we had to keep the volume low enough for the patrons to talk to the artists and such. Of course this was probably a good thing as the low volume also helped cut down on the echoes and meant that the sound in the make-shift amphitheater was actually halfway decent.

Anyway, on to our set. We went on at around 3:00 today and killed 40 minutes or so. My wife set up the Zoom Q3 in the bleachers and would occasionally move it after people sat in front of it so I was able to get somewhat sketchy video of the whole set.

I was also using my relatively new toy for the first time in a live setting and it didn't always work out as expected (and the volume was often a bit low). Also, this marked only the 3rd time the 3 of us have played together.

OK, enough excuses, on with the "show?". (see following replies)

• Members

We opened with one of our stronger (and my newest) songs, my version of Leonna Lewis' pop hit Bleeding Love.

At the end I went for a position shift and totally needed up on the wrong fret :(

followed by Folsom Prison Blues with Nick Anthony sitting in on guitar.

• Members

Next up was my meandering instrumental. This time it was a bit lethargic feeling but nothing was thrown at us so I call it a success.

Followed by one of our weaker songs (shame since it's such a great tune), House of the Rising Sun. Norm had only played it once before so he got a bit lost on the chord progression.

• Members

I was hoping Nick would return in time to do some lead guitar work on our next song but he didn't so we went on with the show.

Wagon Wheel is a great tune but it definitely works better with solos breaks between the verses. I just wasn't feeling confident enough to make those transitions today so instead I tried to grab a loop in real time and add a solo at the end. That didn't work so well.

We closed the show with the timeless classic "Stand by Me". In the room the vocals I thought the vocals were sounding great but it didn't come out all that well on the recording. I could see some of the people looking at art tapping their feet so I guess it wasn't all bad.

• Members

And here's a coupe of photos from the show

ArtExpoGig1.jpg

ArtExpoGig2.jpg

ArtExpoGig3.jpg

ArtExpoGig4.jpg

Great weekend overall but also very exhausting. Between setting up, tearing down, and being on my feet all day both days to keep things running somewhat smoothly I'm totally beat.

Would I do it again? Yup.

-Kit

• Members

Looks like you had fun.
:thu:

I think you need more stuff on the floor though...

Thanks.

It wasn't really that much stuff on the floor. Just the Line6 HD500 and EHX 2880 Looper and foot controller. Meant to put the 2880 up on a little table so i could have better control over the loop/dry levels but I forgot to grab it when were switching out and then just said screw it.

• Members

Cool, ditch the sheet music stand as soon as you're able and stick the guitar stand in the back. Get the keyboard player standing up and rip it up a bit more like the ending of "Folsom Prison Blues" and you've got yourself an act.

(yeah I realize it was an art show) Kudos on playing out!!!

I like the live stuff being posted, gotta post some of my own.

Archived