Getting Old Sucks--Odd Question

Futuresman

• Members

It's no secret that getting old blows, all sorts of never before felt aches and pains. Sunday I was at rehearsal for 2 different projects I have going on; so about 4 hours of playing while standing. So {censored}ty part is that I started getting some pain/cramp like symptoms in my left leg (I'm right handed). I was told this can happen by my singer but he had no advice on exercises or any other preventative action. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know of preventative exercises I can do?

Thanks

• Members

Can't say that I know any exercises, etc, but as someone that's worked on his feet for much of his life: Pay Attention to how you stand, especially keep your knees unlocked, and if possible lose weight to lighten the load.

And yeah, getting old sucks, but the only other option is worse ...

• Members

I have also reached that age when if you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you know you died during the night!

My solution has been simple: I play sitting down. Period. Pain sucks, but unnecessary pain is just dumb.

• Members

Gel insoles, or new sneakers. Lack of padding in your shoes causes problems all up your legs and into your back (from a guy who used to walk ~12 miles a day at work.) And standing is harding than walking-the more you move around, the better for your body, in my experience.

And getting old beats the alternative, as my dad reminds me....:)

• Members

Fix with alcohol.

Yes and No. It might work temporarily. In my elder years I've found that my alcohol abuse causes crampy muscles. Damn.

Hydration with the non-boozy beverages has helped me not get crippling muscle cramps.

I don't believe I just recommended not drinking booze.?. Today is a sad day. I am truly old now.

• Members

I played solo yesterday for the first time in 20 years. I am 45. Today, I felt like I had been in a bar fight. Verything hurt. I stood for 3 plus hour, excluding the probably 8 hours of nerve based rehearsal time since Friday. I have a stash of now three pain pills. Today I took one, down to 3. I am seriously considering yoga. I will say, that when I was in my 20's and djing, loading myself in and out, I gnerally was iped the next day. So, I won't chalk it all up to age, but, p lying is wok, no matter what people think.

• Members

Get an Inversion Table worth their weight in gold. :thu::thu::thu:

If your near mid 40's start taking Glucosamine it helps swell and lube your shrinking cartilage that is likely giving you arthritis type symptoms. Thought I was going to be Mr Hip Replacement and this has kept me from that and unnecessary pain meds... :cop:

• Members

I played solo yesterday for the first time in 20 years. I am 45. Today, I felt like I had been in a bar fight.
Verything
hurt. I stood for 3 plus
hour
, excluding the probably 8 hours of nerve based rehearsal time since Friday. I have a stash of now three pain pills. Today I took one, down to 3. I am seriously considering yoga. I will say, that when I was in my 20's and
djing
, loading myself in and out, I g
nerally
was
iped
the next day. So, I won't chalk it all up to age, but,
p lying
is
wok
, no matter what people think.

Based on your typing, the pain pill seems to be working. :)

• Members

Can't say that I know any exercises, etc, but as someone that's worked on his feet for much of his life: Pay Attention to how you stand, especially keep your knees unlocked, and if possible lose weight to lighten the load.

And yeah, getting old sucks, but the only other option is worse ...

Yep, if you're overweight, lose it.

• Members

I'm not really old, but I am, I suppose, middle aged. My recommendation is to keep yourself generally fit - go to the gym, go for runs, etc. I am pretty sure that this will minimise the pains in general and will certainly make you stronger and able to deal with heavier guitars without getting severe aches.

Better to spend your money on your body, rather than a car or maybe even a guitar! :eek:

• Members

I played solo yesterday for the first time in 20 years. I am 45. Today, I felt like I had been in a bar fight. Verything hurt. I stood for 3 plus hour, excluding the probably 8 hours of nerve based rehearsal time since Friday. I have a stash of now three pain pills. Today I took one, down to 3. I am seriously considering yoga. I will say, that when I was in my 20's and djing, loading myself in and out, I gnerally was iped the next day. So, I won't chalk it all up to age, but, p lying is wok, no matter what people think.

HE'S NOT THAT DRUNK! HE'S NOT THAT DRUNK!

• Members

Getting old is not for sissy's ;)

I have had degenerative disc problems for about 15 years or so. I am always in some level of discomfort. There have been times were I could hardly walk. :(

I still stand when performing live but during rehearsals I sit. I certainly don't leap about like Pete Townsend anymore....:lol:

• Members

I notice if I'm paying too much attention to singing and playing at the same time I don't move around as much and I'll get stupid leg pain, etc. Actually, jumping, goofing off and acting the fool resolves the problem.

Yeah, I'm 44, but have been blessed with nothing more than a lumbar sprain in my lifetime.

Archived