So I tried out for a band for the first time ever today.....

codecontra

• Members

I know this is old hat to most here, but I have never played with a band before let alone tried out for one.

Responded to an ad on CL. Established rock band looking for a guitarist. These guys are really good. The singer is {censored}ing sick and the three have been playing together since the mid 80's. Anyway, I am not as good as them. I learned 4 songs for the try out:

Judas Priest: Heading out to the highway

Sabbath: NIB

Foo Fighters: All my life

Velvet Revolver: Slither

First song we did was Priest. Amazing what nerves will do to you. I knew it cold but {censored}ed up the intro 3 times. They were cool, told me to calm down and have fun. Then we nailed it. The singer did Halford proud. He was a beast, very impressive.

I {censored}ing hate the Foo Fighters, but made it through the song with a few mistakes. Slither I nailed. Sabbath was OK. Fairly easy song.

In any event, I got the gig. These guys were so cool, just wicked nice and professional. They gave me the set list and we practice every weekend with the intent to play out by the end of summer. I am celebrating with a cold beer as we speak. :)

• Members

excellent~ congratulations! there is nothing more satisfying than putting yourself out in front of a bunch of impressive musicians and having them take you in. you should be damn proud. congratulations again! enjoy the {censored} out of all that you're going to experience. and have fun. that's what it's all about, right?

• Members

Cool. You'll likely find playing in a band bumps up your skill level "quickly". Or, more appropriately, knocks you down a few pegs first ("hey, I can play this fine with the cd!"), and then forces you to step into the part, anticipate other players' cues, sit in the pocket, play in time, and just really fine tune your playing.

Watch out for volume wars - don't be that guy. ;). (if you need to hear yourself better, position the amp on a stand close to your ears - turning up if the amp is on the floor makes your amp super loud 10' away!)

• Members

Congrats. I've played live with several bands over the last couple of years and the best advice I can give you is to just not worry about messing up. Most people in the audience are there just to have fun and be entertained, rather than to listen intently to hear if you're playing the songs 100% correctly. Besides, we've had moments where I hit a wrong bass note or the guitarist kicks on his boost pedal i bit too late, but in the overall picture no one except for you guys, the band, will notice the mistake. Just be loose and have fun up there and the audience/fans will have fun too.

• Members

Congrats!

Recently (Feb) Joined my first band in over 2 decades. 2 bands actually 1 cover 1 praise (making up for lost time in basement/headphones). Nothing better than playing in a live situation.

To those jealous and in basements,

Craigslist is a click away. for real.. you'll dig it.

• Members

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. I should also note that I am 42 years old and have been playing for 25 years but never pulled the trigger on joining a band. I finally figured it was something I HAD to do before it was too late. Glad I took the leap.

Archived