Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I tried out for a band for the first time ever today.....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I tried out for a band for the first time ever today.....

I know this is old hat to most here, but I have never played with a band before let alone tried out for one.

Responded to an ad on CL. Established rock band looking for a guitarist. These guys are really good. The singer is ****************ing sick and the three have been playing together since the mid 80's. Anyway, I am not as good as them. I learned 4 songs for the try out:

Judas Priest: Heading out to the highway
    Sabbath: NIB
    Foo Fighters: All my life
    Velvet Revolver: Slither

First song we did was Priest. Amazing what nerves will do to you. I knew it cold but ****************ed up the intro 3 times. They were cool, told me to calm down and have fun. Then we nailed it. The singer did Halford proud. He was a beast, very impressive.

I ****************ing hate the Foo Fighters, but made it through the song with a few mistakes. Slither I nailed. Sabbath was OK. Fairly easy song.

In any event, I got the gig. These guys were so cool, just wicked nice and professional. They gave me the set list and we practice every weekend with the intent to play out by the end of summer. I am celebrating with a cold beer as we speak.

Comment

Congratulations!
      All there really is, is virtue and vice.

Comment

That's great! I miss playing with other people. Especially people who are cool and professional. Sounds like you found a great group.

Comment

I am so jealous.

Signed,
          40-year-old basement rocker
          And once you're gone, you can't come back/ When you're out of the blue and into the black

Comment

Good job man...playing with other people as much as possible as early as possible is key. Take it from someone who learned that too late. Now get to the woodshed!

ps-Dn't hate the Foo ;p
            Good deals with - Yarbicus, CBH5150, BozzofAngels, Alvin Wilson, Harris Quinn

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

Comment

excellent~ congratulations! there is nothing more satisfying than putting yourself out in front of a bunch of impressive musicians and having them take you in. you should be damn proud. congratulations again! enjoy the **************** out of all that you're going to experience. and have fun. that's what it's all about, right?
              INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums

My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.

Comment

Woo hoo! Congratulations!
                Hold mah beer an' watch this!

Comment

congrats

Comment

I am so jealous.

Signed,
                    22-year-old basement rocker
                    But you couldn't last a lifetime.

Comment

Nice..now you can really start learning. Congats.

Comment

Playing out is where the fun starts my man. Good luck with it.
                        Originally Posted by Hopeless

I wouldn't recommend them for metal, but then I also wouldn't recommend playing metal.

Originally Posted by Django Sentenza

When you've founded an entire branch of science dedicated to quantifying taste, get back to me.

Comment

Awesome ! have fun and kick ass! Dont look at athe crowd for your first gig, look above them, that helps lol
                          http://soundcloud.com/infinite_fluxNew crappy band, Infinite Flux

Comment

Cool. You'll likely find playing in a band bumps up your skill level "quickly". Or, more appropriately, knocks you down a few pegs first ("hey, I can play this fine with the cd!"), and then forces you to step into the part, anticipate other players' cues, sit in the pocket, play in time, and just really fine tune your playing.

Watch out for volume wars - don't be that guy. . (if you need to hear yourself better, position the amp on a stand close to your ears - turning up if the amp is on the floor makes your amp super loud 10' away!)
                            Ashtray plays Fender Stratocasters & Telecasters through:
                            '67 Fender BF Bandmaster

Comment

^^^^so true

Congrats! There is nothing quite like the first time you start a song and the dance floor fills! Awesome feeling. Maybe better than sex but not but close.
                              Originally Posted by GW348

I just let the pee flow. The places I play, no one notices or have peed themselves too.

RIP Wayne Murray

**************** YOU CANCER!!

Comment

Working...
                              X