How often do you guys change electric guitar strings?

Jimmy25

• Members

How often do you guys change electric guitar strings? Usually how fast does your new strings rotten? Any things to pay attention to to slow down the rotten process other than keeping your hands dry and wipe down the strings after playing?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I live in Bangkok and mine starts rotting within a month... sigh. I did wipe the strings after I play. However, my hands sweat very easily and I always keep my guitar out on a stand where there's air con, and when I'm not in the room the room temperature is really hot. Maybe that could be the reason why my strings rot so fast? any ways to slow down the rot :(

• Members
I live in Bangkok and mine starts rotting within a month... sigh. I did wipe the strings after I play. However, my hands sweat very easily and I always keep my guitar out on a stand where there's air con, and when I'm not in the room the room temperature is really hot. Maybe that could be the reason why my strings rot so fast? any ways to slow down the rot
:(

try some coated strings next time and see if that helps. Or try some stainless steel strings.

• Members

Quite regularly on my main guitar - a Les Paul Junior - possibly once a month or more. I find I use it so much that even after one slightly sweaty gig, they are darkening quite considerably, and on that particular guitar, because it is so resonant and zingy, the newness of strings can make a big difference. I like them to be reasonably new for important rehearsals and gigs, but not completely new - ie. change them a few days before a gig and then play them in.

• Members

On the guitars I regularily play, every 2-3 months, on others, less used, I change them once I get the urge to play them for a while.

+1

I also make sure I wash my hands before I play, and use Fast Fret both before and after to clean and lubricate.

• Members
You guys change your strings?
:idk:

Seriously. :eek: I've never changed the original strings on my latest electric, purchased new maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I think I changed strings on my electric previous to that maybe twice or thrice in 15 years.

I do play my acoustics more than the electric maybe in a 20 to 1 proportion, but I rarely change the acoustic strings, either!

At some point many moons ago, I stopped breaking strings constantly, which was a major impetus for my prior string changing frequency.

• Members
On my non-Floyd guitars, whenever a string breaks. On my Floyded guitar, I keep them on forever, because when a string breaks on those, I can just unwind some more from the tuner. Besides it's a big drag changing strings on a Floyd
:freak:

Depends where they break surely, unless you have great coils of wire around your pegs.

• Members

Every month to month and a half. Ideally, every three weeks. It's not rust - dirt and skin get in between the winds and literally choke out the string from fully vibrating. To me, old strings make the guitar feel dead. Besides the brightness, the string energy, sustain, and "pop" just aren't there with old stings.

Archived