Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you guys change electric guitar strings?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you guys change electric guitar strings?

How often do you guys change electric guitar strings? Usually how fast does your new strings rotten? Any things to pay attention to to slow down the rotten process other than keeping your hands dry and wipe down the strings after playing?
    Check out my Youtube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Destinaxe
    And don't forget to click Subscribe!

I don't have corrosive body chemistry so I don't have to change strings very often. Maybe every 6 months. I know I have some flatwounds on a guitar for over a year now.
    ♪ Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll

I Surf therefore I am.
    Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

Originally Posted by Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop

The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it "sounds better". Poppycock.

Comment

Every 2-3 months. Live in a dry climate and have never had rust on any strings.

Comment

I live in Bangkok and mine starts rotting within a month... sigh. I did wipe the strings after I play. However, my hands sweat very easily and I always keep my guitar out on a stand where there's air con, and when I'm not in the room the room temperature is really hot. Maybe that could be the reason why my strings rot so fast? any ways to slow down the rot
        Check out my Youtube channel:
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Destinaxe
        And don't forget to click Subscribe!

Comment

I live in Bangkok and mine starts rotting within a month... sigh. I did wipe the strings after I play. However, my hands sweat very easily and I always keep my guitar out on a stand where there's air con, and when I'm not in the room the room temperature is really hot. Maybe that could be the reason why my strings rot so fast? any ways to slow down the rot
          try some coated strings next time and see if that helps. Or try some stainless steel strings.
          ♪ Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll

I Surf therefore I am.
          Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

Originally Posted by Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop

The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it "sounds better". Poppycock.

Comment

Quite regularly on my main guitar - a Les Paul Junior - possibly once a month or more. I find I use it so much that even after one slightly sweaty gig, they are darkening quite considerably, and on that particular guitar, because it is so resonant and zingy, the newness of strings can make a big difference. I like them to be reasonably new for important rehearsals and gigs, but not completely new - ie. change them a few days before a gig and then play them in.
            My band:

http://lightbulbmomentband.com/

Follow me on twitter

Comment

I like the sound of old, rubbery strings?

Tames the highs.
              "All metal is muscle memory" - NeoAngelo

Comment

when they break, wich is way to often
                http://soundcloud.com/infinite_fluxNew crappy band, Infinite Flux

Comment

On the guitars I regularily play, every 2-3 months, on others, less used, I change them once I get the urge to play them for a while.
                  __________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

You guys change your strings?
                    Guitars = Chick Magnet
                    Guitar Hero = Guy Magnet
                    You do the math.

HCAG Civil Posters Society, Charter Member #002.
                    Simple music is the hardest music to play and blues is simple music. - Albert Collins

Comment

Probably more often than I really need to but not nearly as often as pros with a dedicated tech.

Comment

On the guitars I regularily play, every 2-3 months, on others, less used, I change them once I get the urge to play them for a while.

+1

I also make sure I wash my hands before I play, and use Fast Fret both before and after to clean and lubricate.

Comment

Once a monthish. After that they dont sound/feel so good to me.

Comment

Basically with solid playing, coated elixers last me about a month. Non coated will start to rust in a week even with wipe downs. I too live in a very humid environment and it doesn't help that my sweat seems toxic.

Comment

3 times a day. Every day.

Comment

Working...
                              X