Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Embarrassing situations on stage, playing live?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarrassing situations on stage, playing live?

Give me your juicy tales of woe on stage.

One of mine from last November:

I hadn't had much sleep the night before this gig (we had been to see Imelda May that evening), and during the gig, in the second half, as my energy was flagging, I forgot to check the very large reminder I had written on the set list to RETUNE my guitar back from drop D (ie. bottom E, dropped to D), for the next song which was in standard tuning. Now, this song, in standard tuning has a long intro, which is just little licks up and down the fingerboard, but without touching that bass string. So it was not until I was about 1 minute into the song, and played the strong, resounding open G chord, to mark a transition (bear in mind too, this is with a very strident guitar sound also with dollops of delay), that I realised that the bass E string was still dropped to D.

Oh ****************. So a case of rapid readjustment ensued... but amazingly people in the audience I spoke to afterwards claimed not to have noticed. Presumably they were much more sophisticated than me, in noting that my interpretation of the piece was to play some kind of doosra inversion G7 of some kind.
    My band:

http://lightbulbmomentband.com/

Follow me on twitter

Playing with a shorter than usual lead direct into an amp (it was a long time ago before effects became an obsession for guitarists).
    Walking too far away from amp and unplugging self.
    Being so busy with the playing that I did not notice until after the song finished.

Excuse? Buried in the drums and other guitars.

Must have looked funny but no one else noticed.
    Rules for a Happy Life:
    Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    I am happy with who I am. You do not have to like me.

Originally Posted by aenemated
    doc always has been and always will be. He behaves as if he is 18 years old with worlds of wisdom

6 senses, 5 cables, 4 different coloured guitars, 3 amps, 2 pedals, 1 footswitch.
    Statutory Disclaimer: Any advice I may give is ill-informed and is to be treated with the utmost suspicion.

Comment

a few months ago, we got a big show in NYC. our first down in the city.

show was going fantastically well. we were hitting all out cues, nailing the difficult parts... and then I got greedy. Went for a 2 step bend in a solo and *SNAP* goes the high E. Since my guitar has a floating trem, there was really no recovering. quickly ran backstage to get the backup. plugged it in, tuned it up. when I went to tune it, I couldnt figure out why all the strings were tuned so sharp. But i put it back in tune and kept playing...

then my bassist came up to me, moments later, and yelled to me that there was a pick in the neck of the guitar so he ripped it out and instantly all my strings went flat again since I had tuned everything with the pick in there
      rockin' for life

Originally Posted by GAS Man

Thrash the establishment, strip it down, and let it rip.

Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son

There's no "just a" allowed here. There's no reason to denigrate a great guitar that does the trick for you just because it's less expensive than someone else's.

Good Trades with: boonestunes, smithshred

Nox P

Comment

I fell off the back of a stage back in the early 80s. Fell about 4 feet. Landed on my back. My guitar made a cool sound (I was told later). I caught my breath and returned like nothing happened (my inner Keith Moon kicked in). The next day, I could hardly move. Bourbon and gravity always win. Did I learn anything? Yes, but over 10 years later. I guess there was a bit of a time delay. I have always been a late bloomer.
        THE MAZI BEE MILITIA

Comment

I fell off the back of a stage back in the early 80s. Fell about 4 feet. Landed on my back. My guitar made a cool sound (I was told later). .

rockin' for life

Originally Posted by GAS Man

Thrash the establishment, strip it down, and let it rip.

Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son

There's no "just a" allowed here. There's no reason to denigrate a great guitar that does the trick for you just because it's less expensive than someone else's.

Good Trades with: boonestunes, smithshred

Nox P

Comment

I used to never ever change my strings (bass) and was at a gig ,1k peeps , full house ,Also live on the local radio , it was a big event . Well snapped the E right off , it must have been 3 years old or more . Didn't have a backup either . It was a learning experience that night .
            "Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more."
            Nikola Tesla

Comment

Bourbon and gravity always win.

Much truth, many lulz.
              Geezer Brigade Member #350

Comment

I was playing in a band that was backing-up a singer/song-writer on live TV. CBS Daybreak on Sunday Morning. The very first song the singer strummed his acoustic guitar without realizing he had a pick woven between the stings. This happened at 7am Sunday morning so hopefully not a lot of people were awake.
                One time during a gig I was singing when I lost a crown on my front tooth.

Comment

I was playing bass in a 3-piece, and the guitarist was just winding up his epic slide solo. He dramatically tossed aside the slide and stepped forward to sing the chorus, but his guitar rig died at that exact moment. Fortunately I always have a RAT in line for events such as this, which I immediately deployed and began a drum/bass solo/dogfight with the drummer. The guitarist had managed to nail the power switch on his pedalboard with the slide, which was a million to one shot he never could have made if he was trying. So really it was only embarrassing for the guitarist- the drummer and I looked like total pros.

Except for the fact the song was in 5/4, and by the time the guitarist was back on line to finish the drummer and I had lapsed into 4/4 and we had to get back, but whatever.
                  Arrangements? How about I hit on two and four, and you shut the **************** up?

Comment

We were about a minute into a song when my guitar dropped right off the strap button, and hit the stage. I picked it up pretty quickly, got it back on the strap, and continued playing, but it was out of tune. So, I improvised single notes, bending them in tune as best I could. Lesson learned...strap locks. By the way, that's known as a #3 mistake.

There are 3 types of mistakes. 1) Mistakes you make that you notice, but the band, and audience do not catch. 2) Mistakes you make that you, and the band notice, but the audience does not catch. 3) Mistakes you make that you, the band, and the audience all notice. I dread #3.

Whenever, I make a mistake, I try to convince myself it was a #1. I think it helps my recovery if I keep that mindset. But, when a #3 happens, you just know.
                    I don't give a d.a.m.n about hypes, fanclubs or tonal religions. All I care about is what works for me."...it's not religion that's the problem, but any system of thought that insists that one group of people are inviolably in the right, whereas the others are in the wrong and must somehow be punished." ~ Rod LiddleJROCKBRIDGE MUSIC

Comment

I was in my first rock band and I was 18 or 19 if that. We were playing in a hotel in Quebec that also had a big bar. The stage was high and really narrow from front to back with just enough room for us to set up. I went to end a song early on in the first set by doing the Pete Townsend leap in the air and...flew face first off the front of the edge of the stage....

I found myself laying face down on the side of the dance floor and jumped up like nothing happened...
                      Guitars = Chick Magnet
                      Guitar Hero = Guy Magnet
                      You do the math.

HCAG Civil Posters Society, Charter Member #002.
                      Simple music is the hardest music to play and blues is simple music. - Albert Collins

Comment

Ha - some excellent stories here. I thought the guy tossing the slide aside was going to be him stepping on it with dramatic results later on in the song.
                        My band:

http://lightbulbmomentband.com/

Follow me on twitter

Comment

In the '70s, I managed to do an entire Blast Furnace & The Heatwaves gig with my flies undone.
                          http://charlesshaarmurray.com/

Originally Posted by Spike

He's got his crust all stiff and upper with that nancy-boy accent. You Englishmen are all so ... bloody hell ... sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers, bollocks ... oh no, I'm ENGLISH!

Originally Posted by Lucio

everyone has different gear and stuff like this tends to be quite subjective.

Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow

Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness.

Honorary Granddaughter: FerdinandStrat

Comment

In the '70s, I managed to do an entire Blast Furnace & The Heatwaves gig with my flies undone.

I thought you blokes didn't need to have your flies up back in the 70's.....
                            Originally Posted by csm

You get a limited-edition self-relic'ing guitar at no extra cost and you're COMPLAINING?

[Insert religious affiliation political party and or spiritual belief here]

57 Gibson Cg-530, 66 Teisco Mosrite "clone", 78 Rickenbacker something or other, 80's St. Blues, Classic Vibe 60's strat, Fender Blacktop HH strat, Switch Sig Stein, Switch Tele style, Austin SG, Yamaha something, lol.
                            Vox Ampeg Peavey Hartke Bogen and Bugera amps, every tube pedal i can find. Muff. Loopers.

Comment

Nowadays I don't do drugs at all and don't drink ... but as a teenager, I smoked pot and hashish and got drunk a couple times...

So it happened on the night of that gig in the pic below (I was 17 years old). I had smoked quite a bit and was completely useless. Forgot the lyrics of the songs I was supposed to sing (strangely, I could remember the chords, though). The only time it ever happened so I still have a good record for playing sober.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

Working...
                              X