IBZ Pickups

DarkCide

• Members

I got an RGA42FM and was expecting horrible pickups. They're actually not bad. Compared them side by side with the 81's. The LZ model had higher output and not as tight. 81's are super tight so they make almost any pickup sound loose.I got an RGA42FM and was expecting horrible pickups. They're actually not bad. Compared them side by side with the 81's. The LZ model had higher output and not as tight. 81's are super tight so they make almost any pickup sound loose.

I'm running them through a Savage. Will have to give it more time to see how I like them...'m running them through a Savage. Will have to give it more time to see how I like them...

• Members

I picked up one off EBay and stuck it in one of my builds.

its actually a pretty good pickup for tone. I'm trying to remember the

type, I think it was a V2 or S2 stamped on there. They get a pretty good resale price

on them. I just checked EBay now and out of the fre hundred there I didnt see the one I have.

Both Dimarzio and EMG's get installed in Ibanez models but I think Ibanez makes their own

pickups for their other guitars.

• Members
I got an RGA42FM and was expecting horrible pickups. They're actually not bad. Compared them side by side with the 81's. The LZ model had higher output and not as tight. 81's are super tight so they make almost any pickup sound loose.I got an RGA42FM and was expecting horrible pickups. They're actually not bad. Compared them side by side with the 81's. The LZ model had higher output and not as tight. 81's are super tight so they make almost any pickup sound loose.

I'm running them through a Savage. Will have to give it more time to see how I like them...'m running them through a Savage. Will have to give it more time to see how I like them...

I think you left your DelayLock button on

• Members

I got an RGA42FM and was expecting horrible pickups. They're actually not bad.

RGA42FM doesn't come with IBZ pickups.

Could you elaborate a little? I'm still pretty sure the confusion is the pickups you have are not IBZs, not that Dimarzio does not make or design the IBZ pickups. Not all Ibanez pickups are IBZ. There are INF, and I believe your guitar has LZ pickups in it. These are not IBZ, and thus are not made by Dimarzio.

• Members

RGA42FM doesn't come with IBZ pickups.

Could you elaborate a little? I'm still pretty sure the confusion is the pickups you have are not IBZs, not that Dimarzio does not make or design the IBZ pickups. Not all Ibanez pickups are IBZ. There are INF, and I believe your guitar has LZ pickups in it. These are not IBZ, and thus are not made by Dimarzio.

" features IBZ Lo-Z active pickups with an active mid-cut EQ switch."

Heres the link:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARGA42FM

• Members

" features IBZ Lo-Z active pickups with an active mid-cut EQ switch."

Heres the link:

Gotcha.

Those aren't made by Dimarzio.

The Dimarzio/IBZ pickups are a passive line made by Dimarzio for Ibanez. The active LoZ series are not made by Dimarzio, which is probably what they were trying to say in the email. Dimarzio DO make the IBZ pickups found in some of the more expensive RG and S models.

Keep in mind though, even the ones made by Dimarzio aren't widely known for sounding amazing. Much like Duncan Designed pickups used by Jackson, many Ibanez owners prefer real Dimarzio tones over the Dim/IBZ pickups. It's really a matter of taste.

• Members

Here is Dimarzio's response after I pointed out their website link:

"Our website does not state that we make all IBZ pickups. Our site states that the Ibanez pickups we make are the ones that have the DiMarzio/IBZ logo stamped on the face. As I stated below, we do not make the IBZ lz pickups. You should contact Ibanez for further information on them."

• Members

THe IBZUSA F whatevers were really good pickups.

There used to be a chart floating around - maybe some one already linked to it - anyway, the chart had the IBZUSA model listed with its regular Dimarzio equal.....like one was a super distortion, etc.

The also made nice stacked noiseless singles in that IBZUSA series....Just like on that red Saber

• Members

The IBZ (not DiMarzio/IBZ or IBZ USA) pickups I've had on my old RG are pretty awful. In fact in general Ibanez seems to cram barely average pickups on all the models that don't have EMGs or DiMarzios.

• Members
THe IBZUSA F whatevers were really good pickups.

There used to be a chart floating around - maybe some one already linked to it - anyway, the chart had the IBZUSA model listed with its regular Dimarzio equal.....like one was a super distortion, etc.

Yeah, I saw that chart on Jemsite a few months ago, the F2 in my S is supposed to sound like a Tone Zone. I've never played a Tone Zone, but if F2 really sounds like on then it's an awesome pickup.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

A fellow here mentioned something interesting. IBZ USA are nit INF ... INF really suck - actually...

IBZ USA F series I LOVE THEM. i am looking to buy 1 or 2 sets IF they are untempered with.

DOES anyone know the output of these?

IBANEZ RG 750

BRIDGE IBZ USA F2

• Members

Ibanez has many different levels of quality in their electronics.

The cheapest models get cheapo "Powersound" pickups that are apparently modeled off the sound of a wet fart.

The cheapest RGs get INF pickups which are weak as hell and sound like old PAFs that have gone microphonic.

The cheapest prestige RGs get the V7, V8, and S1 pickups which are not terrible, but always sounded a bit muddy and underpowered for a guitar that everyone knows is built for rock and shred.

Older high-end RGs (RG750, RG770) and current "Premium" (i.e., made in Indonesia with Prestige level parts), have the DiMarzio IBZ pickups, which actually sound a lot like the DiMarzio Super Distortion. Not bad at all, but still not as hot as the pickups most people choose for these guitars.

And the best Ibanez guitars now come with actual DiMarzio pickups, usually Tone Zone and Air Norton combos except in the signature models.

As a general rule, I get rid of anything other than the DiMarzio or Dimarzio IBZ pickups, but go with your ear.

Archived