Do you unwind or cut?

geetgeek

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I usually loosen them and then cut them so there's not a big snap.
:idk:

That's what I do too. It shouldn't hurt the guitar to cut them off under tension one at a time, but it's dumb not to loosen them a bit first.

• Members

My wife hates when I leave the remains of guitar strings laying around the house. She especially hates it when they are embedded in the carpet waiting to puncture a bare foot. I personally loosen, then cut them near the end where they are all bent from the post. I throw out the "ends", and then coil the rest of the string tightly so they don't come unwound in the trash can and stick through the side of the bag. It's a skill only a guitar player could appreciate.

• Members

^^ when I was working at an auto shop installing hitches I had asked if I could get a pair of side cutters to aid in some wire snipping. Not one person out of probably ten knew what side cutters were.

I unwind all of them then go back over and just pull them all out. I usually only have them wrapped two or three times around.

• Members

It depends on the tail piece.

If you have a stop bar/TOM type setup where those components

come loose, I may do three strings at a time. More than likely I clip them

off and do some fret polishing because I'm so hard on my frets with all the bending I do.

I dont unwind, just clip them. Unwinding is unnessasary wear on the tuning machines.

I change strings allot. If I get two weeks out of a set thats allot with the hours I put in.

I do buy about a dozen sets a month on line so its not like I need to get the extra life out of them.

When the wrapped strings show wear at the frets, off they come. Worn strings chew the frets up

and fret maintainence reduces their life.

I usually keep about 4 guitars in rotation with new strings. The others may go allot longer depending

on how often they're played. All get clipped off. I dont have time to dork around with unwinding them.

• Members

This has saved my ass a few times.

totally dude, i keep some in my cases, some in little bags around the house. i don't know why anyone would just throw out strings unless they were abhorrently dirty or you had WAY too many of them.

• Members

totally dude, i keep some in my cases, some in little bags around the house. i don't know why anyone would just throw out strings unless they were abhorrently dirty or you had WAY too many of them.

A friends dad told us tales of his bass player boiling his strings back in the day to "renew" them and save some dough. Haven't tried it myself but apparently it works.

• Members

A friends dad told us tales of his bass player boiling his strings back in the day to "renew" them and save some dough. Haven't tried it myself but apparently it works.

I've heard of bass players doing that also. I even think I've seen it in a book about guitar maintance.

• Members

I've heard of bass players doing that also. I even think I've seen it in a book about guitar maintance.

Works great if you still like dull sounding strings that are now clean. Yes, I have tried it with bass and guitar strings too.

Anyways, back to the OP question, I now loosen then cut. I cut mine above the nut. Years ago I used to just wack them off, but quickly realized with locking trems that it slams it into the back of the body. I stopped doing it after that.

Archived