Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you unwind or cut?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My wife hates when I leave the remains of guitar strings laying around the house. She especially hates it when they are embedded in the carpet waiting to puncture a bare foot. I personally loosen, then cut them near the end where they are all bent from the post. I throw out the "ends", and then coil the rest of the string tightly so they don't come unwound in the trash can and stick through the side of the bag. It's a skill only a guitar player could appreciate.

This.
    Also, I change one string at a time, with the guitar still tuned. I feel this keeps the tuning, intonation, relief, etc relatively unaffected.

Comment

I unwind the strings, then cut the coiled ends after I remove them.
      Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
      Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

One of these is a must...

why not just use the pair of wire cutters you've had for 20 years and buy the $2 winder instead?
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

I cut one at a time, with safety glasses on to save my corneas.
          Great transactions with: pan760, Unclemeat, adlo76, deadanddreaming, Woody_in_MN, Rose Pickups, Toshiro, BryanMichael, cbh5150, Rand-O-Monium, ugameus, jcm800stratman

"It's the internet, dude. We all make six figures, f*ck supermodels and drive 9 second Supras when we're not in here bitching about our MIM Strats." [flummox]

"Before you read this post, it should be noted that I f*cking love bunny rabbits." [CompleteGuitard]

Comment

I usually just keep tuning up till they finally break.

Am I doing it wrong?

"You people keep on raining. I'll still be the parade." - Diamond Dave.

TO HEAR MY COUNTRY BAND: ADRIAN RAY, click THIS or this

Official endorsee of:Breedlove Guitars

http://www.ghsstrings.com

http://www.rocktron.com

http://www.monsterenergy.com/

Myspace.com-Dave Aronow

Comment

why not just use the pair of wire cutters you've had for 20 years and buy the $2 winder instead?

Those cheap $2 winders always fell apart on me quite quickly, and wire cutters might be needed elsewhere. One of these will last you quite a while and can be kept either in your case or with the rest of your guitar-specific tools.

As far as the original question, I detune to take the tension off, then snip close to the nut. Leaves a long enough length to tie up and make it neat when you toss them, and leaves a long enough piece that you can easily take it out of the machine head.
              Guitars Canada - Guitar Forum for Canadians

Comment

^^ when I was working at an auto shop installing hitches I had asked if I could get a pair of side cutters to aid in some wire snipping. Not one person out of probably ten knew what side cutters were..

In my upbringing, they were always referred to as 'dykes', 'wire cutters' etc. I never heard the term 'side cutters' until I took a tech class.

I guess our 'tech' in question never had enough eye injuries to make a lasting impression..

Comment

I give my strings last rights and a final meal before cutting them off.

No, wait, I just cut them with my right hand, above the neck pickup, while my left hand holds the strings down (to keep them from flying about) near the 15th fret.

Comment

I take them off in one piece. Either one at a time, or for deep cleaning , all get loosened and then removed after they are all loose .
                    Cutting them so they snap is mildly dangerous and makes for too fast a tension change.
                    And as hard as it is to disengage the G-String from the machine head, the way I lock them, it is better to fight with it than have string ends all over the place.
                    Fender-TeleSonic Tele Elite, ProJr, 75Amp, '67 Bassman w/212 cab
                    Gretsch- 71 Nashville, 2003 New Nashville
                    Gibson- 76 LP '55 model
                    BC Rich- 1977 Koa Eagle deluxe
                    Martin- 1972 D-35
                    Mesa Boogie-Subway Blues w/12" EVM 12L-F cab.
                    Assorted fun toys and boxes of joy.
                    "Many are cold, few are frozen"

Comment

Unwind.

Comment

i use a diabetic toe nail clipper

a.k.a. small dikes
                        There can never be a perfect plan. What's perfect for one human bean ain't perfect for the next one. Cuz he's a lentil.

Comment

I loosen and cut
                          2006 PRS Singlecut Trem Satin Blue Matteo
                          2006 Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic 69 Stratocaster
                          Eleven Rack
                          Kurzweil PC88
                          Kurzweil K2600
                          DSI Prophet 08
                          "http://www.youtube.com/user/mnewb1

Comment

Unwind then cut. I always cut up by the headstock.
                            HC GREAT WHITE OUT SURVIVOR 2012 , RIP those that didnt make it.

Rutles meet them , know them , love them , touch them
                            http://www.rutles.org/rstory.html
                            QUOTE=midnightlaundry Your ****************************, no help reply is exactly why I hate this board.
                            Suspicion Breeds Confidence

Originally Posted by Django Sentenza

Watch out, there are some terribly bothersome trolls around here.

Comment

In my 44 years of playing I have never cut a string off. What's the point?
                              “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
                              -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Unwind 'till the tension has gone then side cutters 1" from the machine-head post, chuck the old strings in the bin, no point in keeping them as if they were any use I wouldn't be changing 'em.

Cheers
                                J_N.
                                No man is an Island...
                                ...unless his name is Madagascar.

Comment

Working...
                                X