NGD - 1984 Ibanez Content

sk8centilli

• Members

GAS has been getting the best of me lately and today I succumbed. I have been longing for a hard tail Strat for years. Most of the ones I find are from 1978-79 and command a price of $2000 or more on eBay. I recently found one at Guitar Center in Toledo; normally too far away for a casual commute, but my daughter happened to have a softball tournament there this past weekend so I stopped in to see it.

It was a modern (2007 I think) American Standard Stratocaster Hard Tail. Even this recent model was asking a premium price of $800 while most Standards in my area are between $500 and $700. It was flawless in fit and finish, but otherwise felt tonally dead and had neck buzz up and down the board. Still, I offered a reasonable $750 out the door, but that didn't happen so I walked.

Then, last night a guitar that has always piqued my interest hit Indiana's Craigslist: a first run Godin Radiator in Daphne-like blue and toaster pickups. I had the day off today and headed south to see it.

The Radiator looked awesome and played as good as it could, but I realized it wasn't for me. Then, I spotted an Ibanez Roadstar RS130, characterized by its 3 single coils and a hard tail! I pulled it down and played it -- result: awesome. Surprisingly it was a hundred less than the Godin (price-wise I figured they would have been on par with one another) and included the OHSC. I made my offer, laid down my cash and drove home with it in the backseat and perma-grin on my face.

P6110119.jpg

P6110123.jpg

P6110115.jpg

P6110104.jpg

I don't know when I'll have time to make a clip, but no worries, this guy is 10x's better than me and has the exact same model, including color and year.

[video=youtube;Y3WgecbbaC0]

• Members

GAS has been getting the best of me lately and today I succumbed. I have been longing for a hard tail Strat for years. Most of the ones I find are from 1978-79 and command a price of $2000 or more on eBay. I recently found one at Guitar Center in Toledo; normally too far away for a casual commute, but my daughter happened to have a softball tournament there this past weekend so I stopped in to see it.

It was a modern (2007 I think) American Standard Stratocaster Hard Tail. Even this recent model was asking a premium price of $800 while most Standards in my area are between $500 and $700. It was flawless in fit and finish, but otherwise felt tonally dead and had neck buzz up and down the board. Still, I offered a reasonable $750 out the door, but that didn't happen so I walked.

Then, last night a guitar that has always piqued my interest hit Indiana's Craigslist: a first run Godin Radiator in Daphne-like blue and toaster pickups. I had the day off today and headed south to see it.

The Radiator looked awesome and played as good as it could, but I realized it wasn't for me. Then, I spotted an Ibanez Roadstar RS130, characterized by its 3 single coils and a
hard tail!
I pulled it down and played it -- result: awesome. Surprisingly it was a hundred less than the Godin (price-wise I figured they would have been on par with one another) and included the OHSC. I made my offer, laid down my cash and drove home with it in the backseat and perma-grin on my face.

P6110119.jpg

Verrrrrrry nice!

I bought a '79 hardtail strat a while back in a very similar color scheme. You did well. That's a beautiful guitar.

• Members

OK, watching vid now...I know your vids, and you here at HC but never put it together.

Dude, you're an amazing player! Kickass! With great taste in guitars!!!

He said that's not him in the video. Ive seen that guy review other guitars. Hes a obnoxious jackass IMO. He always has comments disabled in his Youtube vids because of too many negative responses. Hes very opinionated and says some really stupid {censored}. he was pretty tame in that one tho.

Anyway, nice guitar! Ill have to keep my eye out for those.

Archived