celtic frost guitar tone

wrongnote85

• Members

Heaviest band of the 80s! And, unlike most other bands that disappeared for a few years, CF returned with Monotheist, which utterly KILLS imho!
:rawk:
-Adam

it is an extremely heavy album indeed! and it also has a tune or so that were not sung by tom.

it also has a more 'modern' version of that same tone.

• Members

Heaviest band of the 80s! And, unlike most other bands that disappeared for a few years, CF returned with Monotheist, which utterly KILLS imho!
:rawk:
-Adam

I believe you have finally provided the answer to that very old question: "whatever happened to Celtic Frost?"

• Members

nah dude, tom's tone is something else entirely on the first two CF records. listen to it with headphones or very loud speakers. its fat and pudgey sounding, idk. and when he does slides it just has this roar! i've always thought his tone was crazy. check out "necromantical screams"

• Members

I used to have a weird solid state combo amp that was made in the 70s called a 'Londoner'. It had imputs for the whole band- sort of a 'pub amp'.

Anyway it had a twist dial doodah that had 6 different filter settings on it and one of them I swear sounded like TGW.

When we played gigs in those days the other bands would laugh at my {censored}ty amp while they were wheeling in their Marshalls but when I powered that {censored}er on they {censored} their pants:lol:

Anyway I'm guessing that sound is pure solid state.

• Members

Maybe it's my speakers, but I just hear a fuzz pedal. Humbuckers through a fuzz face can get heavy like that. Maybe an old Muff.

It's gonna sounds heavier than a Marshall, that's how fuzz is.

:idk:

i've wondered it's perhaps a muff myself. my brother and i have speculated over this for years and come to the conclusion that TGW does in fact not play with any distortion whatsoever. he plays clean and the sound we hear is just his 'hand tone'.

• Members

i've wondered it's perhaps a muff myself. my brother and i have speculated over this for years and come to the conclusion that TGW does in fact not play with any distortion whatsoever. he plays clean and the sound we hear is just his 'hand tone'.

:lol:

Well, it is in the fingers after all, innit?

• Members

So what's the secret? Recto? Did they exist then?

No recto. It was an Ibanez Iceman into a Marshall 2203, tubescreamer. Same thing they used when they were Hellhammer, same thing they used on Monotheist. Oh and a wah for the, uh, leads :)

One of the things I love about Frost is that they came up with an original sound even though they weren't excellent musicians (by their own admission). I'll take that over the Dream Theaters of the world.

Archived