Anyone used a Lace Alumitone with a traditional humbucker?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

On acoustic, when plugging in, I like having a piezo and a magnetic pickup whose sounds I can blend together. Both pickups have their strengths and weaknesses, and blending them gives more or less the best of both.

I've had a bit of interest in Lace Alumitones for my electric for a while but have yet to try them out. I do like the greater clarity and wider frequency I've heard in videos. However, one of the complaints about them is they can sound cold and sterile, and they do in some videos. Having never tried them I don't know how much from user error and how much is just its intrinsic sound.

In any case, there is something to be said for a nice warm traditional humbucker. Then it occurred to me why not have both and blend them much like I do on an acoustic? Has anyone here tried that yet? If so, did you like the results?

Also, has anyone used the Creation Audio Labs Redeemer circuit with an Alumitone? Did it make any difference to the sound, and if so what?

• Members

Alumitones and standard magnetic pickups won't mix in the same circuit. In other words, if you use a switch position that only selects one pickup or the other, that will work, just don't select a switch position where they are both on (i.e. -- the middle position on a 3 position / 2 pickup guitar such as a Les Paul or SG).

The exception to this with the Lace Alumitone is the DeathBucker -- or whatever it's called.

• Members

Alumitones and standard magnetic pickups won't mix in the same circuit. In other words, if you use a switch position that only selects one pickup or the other, that will work, just don't select a switch position where they are both on (i.e. -- the middle position on a 3 position / 2 pickup guitar such as a Les Paul or SG).

The exception to this with the Lace Alumitone is the DeathBucker -- or whatever it's called.

Would a stereo output work?

• Members

Would a stereo output work?

Sure. But now you'll have to deal with some heinous Ric-O-Sound situation. You'd be a lot better off with normal circuitry and switching with all Alumitones, or using the Alumitone Deathbucker as the single pickup Alumitone pickup in the conventional passive / Alumitone pickup mix. The Deathbucker has some sort of buffering that makes it compatible with conventional passive pickups. The rest of the standard Alumitone line does not have the compatibility feature of the Deathbucker.

http://www.lacemusic.com/deathbucker.php

http://www.lacemusic.com/Alumitone_Deathbucker.php

Archived