(NGD X 2) + NKD = Some Stuff I Bought

profgalen

• Members

First up is this Frets inspired NGD. I walked into a local music store today and saw they had marked down their Melody Makers to $299. Resistance was Futile. My first "real" guitar was a 1968 blue MM SG, although it had 2 single-coils and nobody knew anything about baked maple then. This thing plucked a nostalgic string in my heart. I'm very pleased with it, and no the volume control does not get in my way.

MekodyMaker2.jpg

A couple of days ago my neighbor who has been laid-off from the railroad for some time came over and asked me if I wanted to buy this Ibanez Artcore AS73. I really didn't need it but I wanted to help him out. The tone pot for the neck PU is completely shot. It just spins around. This is something I'm not looking forward to repairing. but I'll do the dental floss thing.

After looking around and pricing on ebay we agreed on a more than fair price. It plays OK. I put 11s on it but I don't like the pups. Any suggestions? I don't want to invest a lot and I think I'll set it up for slide. I was thinking GFS Surf 90s.

As73.jpg

Last but not least (and OT, sorry) is this vintage 1959 Farfisa Italian keyboard organ type thing that I got ridiculously cheep in a thrift shop. It's absolutely mint and in tune. It makes a very cool and unusual sound (think Tom Waits) and it just looks so cool.

farafisa3.jpg

farafisa2.jpg

• Members

farfisas are the {censored}.

and while i love my Surf 90's in my iceman...if your looking to get a little more gretsch out of that ibanez you might look into some other filtertron makers. i dont like either surf 90 pup by itself. my two combos i use mainly are bridge and neck surf 90s or bridge and middle lipstick HBs with the the lipstick coil tapped. very vintagey sounding. love it. if cheap is your aim, {censored} it, go gfs, but look into their 'tron pup selection as well. i think the memphis is quite tasty. FWIW i love the sound of my iceman with surf 90s way more than the stock artcore pups ive tried.

• Members

farfisas are the {censored}.

and while i love my Surf 90's in my iceman...if your looking to get a little more gretsch out of that ibanez you might look into some other filtertron makers. i dont like either surf 90 pup by itself. my two combos i use mainly are bridge and neck surf 90s or bridge and middle lipstick HBs with the the lipstick coil tapped. very vintagey sounding. love it. if cheap is your aim, {censored} it, go gfs, but look into their 'tron pup selection as well. i think the memphis is quite tasty. FWIW i love the sound of my iceman with surf 90s way more than the stock artcore pups ive tried.

Memphis Retrotron were another consideration. I've used them before with great success on a hollow body. My favorite of the Retrotrons.

• Members
Two bichen guitars and a Farfisa Organ, really? I think ya done REAL good, and did a good deed for your neighbor as well. Bravo Amigo, and
dig your Sponge Bob wall decor.

Actually, that's the window in my secret underwater studio.
This is what the other thing is. It's a very old gun. I think it's Turkish. The in-lay is silver and the teeth are real. Maybe from a wolf or big dog. I'd be afraid to fire it, but if Antique Road Show comes to town...
gun.jpg

• Members

Whats the dental floss trick?

When you have to rewire an arch-top it's a little easier to tie dental floss to all the pots, jack and switch before removing them through the "F" hole or P/U hole. Also the ground wire needs to be disconnected. When you have the entire wiring harness removed you can work on it. If you replace something you just reattach the floss to the new pot. switch or jack and pull all to their holes. It's a little easier than trying to fish around inside an "F" hole. If anyone knows an easier way please chime in.

Archived