Yamaha Pac 921 disection pics ...

webwarmiller

• Members

Got a Yamaha Pacifica 921 last week (thank you GC used...$150) and am just now getting to taking it apart, cleaning it all up, etc..... Anyway, Yamaha's construction quality and innovation are second to none imo so I figured I would post pics of some unique features.

First the neck joint. Yamaha uses a milled aluminum plate attached to the neck that extends into the body. This allows the body to have virtually no heel as the neck screws are positioned further into the body. The plate is stepped and it fits into a recessed route in the body.....fits like a glove.

1020917.jpg

1020921.jpg

A personal favorite is Yamaha's exclusive height adjustable locking nut. Sure, you might only have to set this a couple of times in its lifetime; but it's a great feature to have when the time comes. Also note the springs used to keep the retainer bar in place when unstrung....this led me to do the same on all my other guitars with retainer bars.

1020929.jpg

Lastly, the Yamaha RM PRO II "Floyd" which has a couple of unique features. The strings are fed through those long tubes near the brass block so the ball ends don't have to be cut. They still get locked traditionally at the bridge via lock blocks. Thr second set of allen screws protruding from the rear are for setting intonation. Each is attached to a saddle and moves it forward/backward.

1020925.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

$150???

Bloody hell:eek:

It's why I check GC's used site daily under 'new arrivals'. Some GC somewhere is always under pricing a guitar here and there. This year alone I've picked up a Blonde Squire Affinity Tele for $59 and a Peavey T-15 for $69....both in excellent shape.

• Members

Same store I bought this 921 from has this which might be a pretty good deal. Who knows it might be an early model with Fender headstock but it might be just be a CX series. They had my Pac 921 listed simply as Yamaha Pacifica with Floyd.

SOLIDBODY ELECTRIC

USED CHARVEL WHT HSS W/ FLOYD

Details

• Members

I was outbid last week for a Yammie Pacifica 7(something something) on ebay that had the same heel. Winner got it for $170ish, and I'm keeping my eyes peeled after hearing so many of y'all rave about Yamaha quality.

Good score, man, and thanks for the cool pics! :thu:

• Members

I'd love to see the rest of the guitar.

$150... :eek: :eek: :eek: It boggles the mind. I never got it when it comes to how cheap some of the unique top end Yamahas sell for on the used market. Can someone explain that one to me?

• Members

I'd love to see the rest of the guitar.

$150...
:eek:
It boggles the mind. I never got it when it comes to how cheap some of the unique top end Yamahas sell for on the used market. Can someone explain that one to me?

"Yamaha? Don't they make jet skis? They can't be any good!"

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Members

^ bumping the old thread because I bought 521 today and that neck joint is awesome and worthy of new eyes.

The coolest thing about that joint is that it allows for neck pup positioning way further up the neck than a regular joint would have (while maintaining the super upper fret access)...I couldn't figure out why it was designed like that but it has the sweetest neck pup sound you could ever imagine. Absolutely wonderful guitar regardless of the fact I got it for crazy crazy cheap at a local thrift store.

Mine has a slighly offset single coil stuck up front instead of the neck humbucker and the 2-4 tones are as strat as you can achieve (1 is bridge humbucker, 2 is out of phase neck/bridge coil, 3 is in phase neck and other bridge coil, 4 is neck, 5 is blank right now because the middle pup has been pulled...I am thinking of putting a mini humbucker or soapbar in there.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Does anyone have any idea which other models in the Pacifica range have these types of heels? I have a 604 and a 412V at home that I'd like to get re-fretted and I expect I'll need to remove the necks. Out of interest I considered a replacement neck as the cost of a decent re-fret [stainless steel of course] and Plek'ing could get very pricey...

The 604 appears to have the metal plate strips as per the 921 one the OP discusses - any idea if the 412V will be the same? As I remember there are no strips, just recessed washers.

All help appreciated!

• Members

Does anyone have any idea which other models in the Pacifica range have these types of heels?

Seems like you could just remove a neck screw and if it's a machine screw (not a wood screw) you could assume it has the plate.

Archived