Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha Pac 921 disection pics ...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back home now and have had a look at the 412V - it's a standard bolt on with no plate as Flogger59 suggested. I'll get this one [stainless steel] re-fretted when the time comes, but for now I'm replacing the stock pickups as they just sound way to thin for my taste. Got an EMG 81TW for the bridge and plan on acquiring a pair of EMG SLV single coils for the mid and neck - should be a great sound to compliment the 604 which has EMG 89 and a pair of EMG SA's.

Look like my 604 will be getting re-fretted too, rather than attempting to find a replacement neck with the plate, as there are no suppliers I can find for Yamaha style necks. I know Warmoth did them years ago but alas, no more.

Jkater: Very nice 904! Love the string tree less headstock - wish mine didn't have the string trees either...
    Yamaha Pacifica 604
    Yamaha Pacifica 412V
    Ernie Ball MusicMan Luke 2
    Carvin Bolt+ [Modified]

Sadly no Yamaha MSG's at present, but I do run: http://www.yamahamsg.net

Comment

Is that a Yamaha Image/MSG in your avatar?
      who you are in the world depends on the opinions of others - that is not important

what is important is who you are within yourself

Comment

Is that a Yamaha Image/MSG in your avatar?

Yes, it is - I've been a fan of them for years and have owned 3 Standards. Sadly I don't have any at the moment - hope to get another Standard someday...

I have a site [ongoing updates and improvements] which I set up a couple of years ago, as I was struggling to find info on them: http://www.yamahamsg.net
        Yamaha Pacifica 604
        Yamaha Pacifica 412V
        Carvin Bolt+ [Modified]

Comment

Look like my 604 will be getting re-fretted too, rather than attempting to find a replacement neck with the plate, as there are no suppliers I can find for Yamaha style necks. I know Warmoth did them years ago but alas, no more.

Jkater: Very nice 904! Love the string tree less headstock - wish mine didn't have the string trees either...

Thanks! That 904 is something to behold. it has so many cool features that are rarish on standard guitars. Like the light ash thick cap/alder combination for the body (front/back), the compound radius fretboard, sleek finish on the back of the neck half way between satin and high gloss (LOVE it, chunky neck, too) while the front of the headstock is high gloss. And I dig the look of the abalone inlaid Pacifica logo. It is recessed, so definitely not a sticker of sorts and it looks like real abalone. Must have been cut with very precise computerized machines.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

Love that neck join. Is it possible to purchase the aluminum plates anywhere? That would be cool to incorporate into a build.
            http://soundcloud.com/infinite_fluxNew crappy band, Infinite Flux

Comment

Thanks! That 904 is something to behold. it has so many cool features that are rarish on standard guitars. Like the light ash thick cap/alder combination for the body (front/back), the compound radius fretboard, sleek finish on the back of the neck half way between satin and high gloss (LOVE it, chunky neck, too) while the front of the headstock is high gloss. And I dig the look of the abalone inlaid Pacifica logo. It is recessed, so definitely not a sticker of sorts and it looks like real abalone. Must have been cut with very precise computerized machines.

The 'hand written' style Pacifica logos are tasteful - Yamaha have used a garishly large uppercase logo in the past, which I find just eugh. The inlaid abalone logo is definitely classier than the transfer normally used.

The differences in neck finish also intrigues me - my 604 is gloss, which compared to the satin back of my 412V, feels a bit cheap [I do own a MusicMan luke with a gunstock waxed neck and that kinda sets the bar high!], but it's still very playable - bar the extremely worn frets [hence the search for info on the neck join in preparation for neck replacement or re-fretting], but I wonder why the variation?

Would love to find a 904 in a different finish - sunburst has never quite done it for me...
              Yamaha Pacifica 604
              Yamaha Pacifica 412V
              Carvin Bolt+ [Modified]

Comment

which I set up a couple of years ago, as I was struggling to find info on them: http://www.yamahamsg.net

Thanks for the website. I had searched for info on the Image for a while but I gave up so I'm glad you pointed me to your site.

I used to have a really nice standard but I sold it to get a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion.

I got the guitar back for a while (I traded a Red Knob Twin for it) but then I traded it in on an ES-137 Custom. The 137 is nice but I could have waited and saved up to buy one but sadly the Image is gone because I was smitten with the 137 and in too much of a hurry.
                who you are in the world depends on the opinions of others - that is not important

what is important is who you are within yourself

Comment

, but I wonder why the variation?

Would love to find a 904 in a different finish - sunburst has never quite done it for me...

I've seen blue ones.
                  Originally Posted By Trace-P38
                  Flogger wins.

Originally Posted by Uma Floresta View Post
                  Because we floggers won the music war some time ago.

Originally Posted by Mike Riley View Post
                  Preaching to the choir Rush in on a whole different level to quote a movie You might listen to Rush but you cant here Rush

http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14

Comment

I've seen blue ones.

AlexMC has a blue 904.

Comment

Love it!

Comment

That's rather nice! I'd have the tremolo floating myself, but colour wise, I do prefer it to the sunburst finish [although I wouldn't turn either down!].
                        Yamaha Pacifica 604
                        Yamaha Pacifica 412V
                        Carvin Bolt+ [Modified]

Comment

Blue 904.

And that trem arm is a piece of jewellery. Can't see the little details on pics. It costs a FORTUNE to replace (if still possible).

Comment

I had to get a replacement arm for my Pacifica 412V - got it direct from Yamaha parts and it was about
                            Yamaha Pacifica 604
                            Yamaha Pacifica 412V
                            Carvin Bolt+ [Modified]

Comment

I had to get a replacement arm for my Pacifica 412V - got it direct from Yamaha parts and it was about

Comment

, but I wonder why the variation?

Enjoy the sunburst and the logo. Those are the things I wish my 921 had- the logo on it is just a decal, and it's a standard black finish. So many nice features on it but it's not the most beautiful guitar.
                                Former gold medal winner, "Least Equipment on HCEG Forums"

Comment

• Working...
                                  X