D.I. Egnater Rebel 30 or Line6 HD500

skybluegary

• Members

Guys, I'm going D.I, playing a variety of music with clean and dirty sounds, (using Yamaha SG's with humbuckers) and I want to keep the set up light and compact.

The dilemma is, should I get an Egnater Rebel 30 head (with my current pedal board Boss ME70) or Line6 HD500.

I can get either set up for a similar price, I was leaning towards the HD500, but the tubist in me (and simplicity of tweakage) is pulling me the other way.

So, tube or modeller? Opinions please!

• Members

Why do you want the HD500 if you have the ME70? The ME70 has amp modeling in it and direct out. Just buy a real tube amp at this point instead of a second modeler/multi fx unit.

I'm not keen on the ME70 modelling, i thought the HD500 was supposed to be a big step up in terms of modelling, no?

• Members

I took the modeller route several months ago and have not regretted it once. I still have my tube amps, but I rarely fire them up because the HD500 does everything I need it to.

No one can decide for you which direction you need to go. It's all about what you want to get out of your rig. Do you want dozens of amps and a hundred effects in a little box or an amp with a handful of good sounds?

• Members

I'm not keen on the ME70 modelling, i thought the HD500 was supposed to be a big step up in terms of modelling, no?

I will agree that Line6 has entrenched themselves as the standard for modeling right now, but the Boss is not so bad that it warrants the purchase of an entirely different unit. I have recorded several things with Line6 gear and I never felt like any of it compared to a real amp. All modelers feel like, good digital copies, not the real thing.

Here is another thing to consider, whether you record with the Boss or Line 6, once it's all said and done the quality of the tone will be about the same between the two modelers. I would give the Boss a chance before buying a second multi fx and just buy the amp. Plus everyone needs a good tube amp around the house.

When I get home after work, I'll show you two songs. One with a modeler (POD 2.0) and one with my current setup which is Boss ME50 into Blackstar HT1R head. Then you can compare with yourself.

• Members

I took the modeller route several months ago and have not regretted it once. I still have my tube amps, but I rarely fire them up because the HD500 does everything I need it to.

No one can decide for you which direction you need to go. It's all about what you want to get out of your rig. Do you want dozens of amps and a hundred effects in a little box or an amp with a handful of good sounds?

Actually, I think you've nailed it right there, "a handful of good sounds."

• Members

I will agree that Line6 has entrenched themselves as the standard for modeling right now, but the Boss is not so bad that it warrants the purchase of an entirely different unit. I have recorded several things with Line6 gear and I never felt like any of it compared to a real amp. All modelers feel like, good digital copies, not the real thing.

Here is another thing to consider, whether you record with the Boss or Line 6, once it's all said and done the quality of the tone will be about the same between the two modelers. I would give the Boss a chance before buying a second multi fx and just buy the amp. Plus everyone needs a good tube amp around the house.

When I get home after work, I'll show you two songs. One with a modeler (POD 2.0) and one with my current setup which is Boss ME50 into Blackstar HT1R head. Then you can compare with yourself.

Points taken, cheers.

• Members

I have an ME70, and it is going back in favor of an HD 500. The preset storage system alone is enough to compel me to switch. 8 banks of 64 to create set lists? Perfect. I find the ME 70 cryptic. THE HD seems far more laid out for live.

• Members

Listen to these two songs recorded. The first one one, Grand Theft Auto, was recorded with a 1-watt tube amp going direct into the computer. The second track, suffocate, was recorded with a POD 2.0 going straight into a mixing board.

http://soundcloud.com/elsupermanny14/tracks

Take a look and listen for yourself. You can compare modeler vs tube amp.

• Members

I owned an HD500 for 6 months. While I don't think it's perfect, it has a lot of great sounds in that box. It's definitely a big step forward in terms of both feel and sound for Line 6. It's the best realism Line 6 has achieved up to this point. If I hadn't purchased an Eleven Rack, I'd still be using the HD. But, I still have no intention of getting rid of my amps.

• Members

The POD 2.0 is over 10 years old. It's no comparison to the HD500, in any way, and not representative of modern modeling.

HD500 is no comparison to a real amp. I think the HD500 is a good modeler and probably one of the best out there. However, the HD500 is still not on par with a real amp. The OP already has a modeler, he should probably get a capable amp instead of a second modeler. After he records something, mixes, and adds effects, I promise you that the difference in tone between both modelers will be negligible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

HD500 is no comparison to a real amp. I think the HD500 is a good modeler and probably one of the best out there. However, the HD500 is still not on par with a real amp. The OP already has a modeler, he should probably get a capable amp instead of a second modeler. After he records something, mixes, and adds effects, I promise you that the difference in tone between both modelers will be negligible.

All this you're saying, I get the impression you don't actually own or have experience with the HD. Otherwise, why when he asks about a POD HD are you offering up samples from a pod 2.0? They're not comparable. At all. I've been using pods from the Amp Farm through Guitarport, Pod2, Pod Farm, XT, and X3. They were all variations on the same {censored} for 10+ years. HD is something completely new, both in the offered models and the modeling technology itself. The dynamics, response, realism, it's all completely different. It's hard enough to get that across to people, but then I'm constantly running into people like yourself badmouthing the POD HD while going on about old and completely different Line 6 products.

The HD models deliver some incredible direct tones. I own one, and would be happy if I never owned another amp. Comparing it to a Pod 2.0 is like comparing a fart to a sewage dump. And yes, it IS comparable to a real amp, especially in a direct situation.

• Members

All this you're saying, I get the impression you don't actually own or have experience with the HD. Otherwise, why when he asks about a POD HD are you offering up samples from a pod 2.0? They're not comparable. At all. I've been using pods from the Amp Farm through Guitarport, Pod2, Pod Farm, XT, and X3. They were all variations on the same {censored} for 10+ years. HD is something completely new, both in the offered models and the modeling technology itself. The dynamics, response, realism, it's all completely different. It's hard enough to get that across to people, but then I'm constantly running into people like yourself badmouthing the POD HD while going on about old and completely different Line 6 products.

The HD models deliver some incredible direct tones. I own one, and would be happy if I never owned another amp. Comparing it to a Pod 2.0 is like comparing a fart to a sewage dump. And yes, it IS comparable to a real amp, especially in a direct situation.

Well if that's how you feel about it, awesome. It's comparable to a real amp. That's that.

Anyways, Congrats to the OP!

Archived