Firebursts Back When.

MarkBastable

• Members

But - if I'm right - that's not a clownburst, is it? The much-scoffed-at clownburst finish was just yellow to red, with no black at the edge? Or am I overanalysing?

Right. And the fade from red to yellow was fairly abrupt.

• Members

I believe they first used the name in 2007 with the GOTW series, but it wasn't sprayed the same...

Week 2 model, they advertised it like this...

gibson-les-paul-classic-antique.jpg

But they ended up looking more like this...too much red, not enough blending...

gibson_lp_classic_fireburst_week2_002.jp

And they offer a bass (Week 18)

gibson%20bass-198592305086244570.jpg

• Members

But - if I'm right - that's not a clownburst, is it? The much-scoffed-at clownburst finish was just yellow to red, with no black at the edge? Or am I overanalysing?

You may be right as a google search suggests. I always associated this finish with the clown burst.

I'm on my iPad, so I can't post an image from google search. It's halfway down on this page: an RD Artist bass in Fireburst...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fans-gibson-rd-ripper-basses-664561/index4.html

• Members

Yeah, the whole thing seems pretty inconsistent. On the one I posted, the yellow is more central and the black goes all the way round the body. The first one you posted was more black at the bridge end and yellow at the neck. And the colours on the second one were horrible.

The point of all this is that in some versions I really like this finish, and in others I think that suckage is in the ascendant. But I have a bit of a thing for any kind of art or artefact that teeters between the sublime and the ridiculous, so I'm on the constant lookout for one that does it for me - for purely aesthetic reasons. I honestly don't actually need another guitar. And I already have a Studio, so I can't justify buying one of those - but I might be able to convince myself that I needed, say, a vintage Deluxe.

I might be able to.

No, I really might.

And if I see the right one, then obviously God wants me to buy it, so it's out of my hands. Honey.

• Members

Yeah, the whole thing seems pretty inconsistent. On the one I posted, the yellow is more central and the black goes all the way round the body. The first one you posted was more black at the bridge end and yellow at the neck. And the colours on the second one were horrible.

The point of all this is that in some versions I really like this finish, and in others I think that suckage is in the ascendant. But I have a bit of a thing for any kind of art or artefact that teeters between the sublime and the ridiculous, so I'm on the constant lookout for one that does it for me - for purely aesthetic reasons. I honestly don't actually need another guitar. And I already have a Studio, so I can't justify buying one of those - but I might be able to convince myself that I needed, say, a vintage Deluxe.

I might be able to.

No, I really might.

And if I see the right one, then obviously God wants me to buy it, so it's out of my hands. Honey.

I understand. Some look right, some not so much!

Well, the first RD was antique burst on that page. The Fireburst was the second one. :lol:

Archived