Tell me about the MIM 70's Strat-I ordered one.

c_corie

• Members

I had a Classic '70s. Ash Body w. rosewood board. Great guitar, beefy neck and nice pickups. I should have kept it since it was the only large headstock model I had but a sweet deal on a USA Deluxe came a knockin' at my door.

• Members

I'm pretty sure 70's strat had U shaped necks, not V shaped.

yes I call it D shape. I played a really nice one in a shop a few weeks ago. Fretwork and fit and finish were great. Seemed to be about 8lbs. Some of the 70s strats were real boat anchors.

• Members

I'm pretty sure 70's strat had U shaped necks, not V shaped.

It had what Fender officially called "U" shape...which is completely different than the massive '50's necks that are nick-named "U" shape.

The '70's "U" shape wasn't very U shape at all. They did start as prominent medium "V" shape at the nut and then tapered into a much rounder C/U shape around mid-neck. They were relatively thick necks, running ~.9" all the way down (near uniform thickness). A traditional narrow nut and soft shoulders made the neck profile feel less thick than it actually was.

My favorite Fender neck. Mine are real '70's Fenders, but the MIM neck is pretty much spot on.

• Members

Should I be concerned about the 7.25 radius?

Some people don't like it...scratch that...many people don't like it.

It is very ergonomic feeling, very comfortable for chords and rhythm work, and goes well with the '70's neck profile.

The downside is that the rounder radius and smaller frets combine to make the guitar want to fret out, depending on setup and have aggressively you play. I love the rounder radius, but I try and pair it with taller 6105 frets.

Still Clapton, Gilmour, Hendrix, etc. sure didn't have a problem with it.

• Members

The 7.25 radius isn't ideal but I can get along with it - it's a compromise though - I have to jack the action up pretty high to stop bends choking out. Still, that's how you get better tone, right?

I thought it was pretty much a consensus that 7.25" = bad... hmm... might start a poll!

• Members

I had one in Natural with a rosewood board. Played and sounded great. They do tend to have pretty bad re-sale value though, if I remember correctly. Hopefully you got a discount. These tend to go on Ebay used in the $400-500 range.

Archived