Does anyone have a Pine guitar body?

phreddy

• Members

I have a LSL T-bone with a sugar pine body. To me it tends to be slightly less icepicky than alder or ash, while still being very bright and twangy.

Disclaimer: I don't currently own an alder or ash guitar to compare it to, I am just going on what I remember.

377827_10150495279239515_1150122377_n.jp

• Members

I play this custom Rick Kelly pine guitar. It was made from 200 year old lumber so I don't know if my observations apply to what the OP is talking about, but the tone is well balanced and very woody sounding. Definetly not overly bright.

chumleycaster1-1.jpg

• Members

I put together a La Cabronita style Tele with a one piece sugar pine body. It was one amazingly resonant mofo! :D The body weighed in at slightly less than 4 lbs. As for the tone, it's always difficult to determine how much of the tone of a particular guitar is attributable to the body wood, but this particular guitar had a really balanced tone with great a great snap/attack to it. It was a very lively instrument.

As DaleH noted, there are many different types of pine with different characteristics.

Here's the one I put together. Wish I still had it, but I had to sell it to pay for my mahogany Tele project. :)

IMG_5329.jpg

• Members

I redid the finish on my buddies Strat last year.

I was suprised to find the body was pine under that ugly paint job.

The wood was highly resonant when you tapped on the body.

Since he played in a band with me using that instrument for a good

5 years I was familure with its bright tone. I always thought it was his

pickups that were responsible for the bright tone, but it was the body.

• Members

I put together a La Cabronita style Tele with a one piece sugar pine body. It was one amazingly resonant mofo!
:D
The body weighed in at slightly less than 4 lbs. As for the tone, it's always difficult to determine how much of the tone of a particular guitar is attributable to the body wood, but this particular guitar had a really balanced tone with great a great snap/attack to it. It was a very lively instrument.

As DaleH noted, there are many different types of pine with different characteristics.

Here's the one I put together. Wish I still had it, but I had to sell it to pay for my mahogany Tele project.
:)

IMG_5329.jpg

Nice guitar, not convinced of the pickguard though, full marks for not a standard tele one though.:thu:

• Members

Pine is kind of a soft wood. It's light but it doesn't hold small screws and hardware well. Sometimes you'll get problems with a bolt on neck pulling forward from string tension that has to be addressed. It also dents easily. It's not a "hardwood"...it's the stuff you see in 2 by 4 boards at Home Depot. It's cheap, light and easy to cut but I doubt it has much sustain compared to harder woods. It also finishes kind of "splotchy" with certain finishes because it aborbs stain in random ways depending on grain. It's prone to knotholes too in the cheaper grades. Some people actually like this in a sort of redneck/cheap kitch way. There's a "knotty pine" Gretsch Jet guitar for example.

You might want to consider basswood as it has similar properties to pine and is more widely used in the guitar industry.

• Members

I put together a La Cabronita style Tele with a one piece sugar pine body. It was one amazingly resonant mofo!
:D
The body weighed in at slightly less than 4 lbs. As for the tone, it's always difficult to determine how much of the tone of a particular guitar is attributable to the body wood, but this particular guitar had a really balanced tone with great a great snap/attack to it. It was a very lively instrument.

Here's the one I put together. Wish I still had it, but I had to sell it to pay for my mahogany Tele project.
:)

IMG_5329.jpg

Very nice looking body...who made it?

• Members

I'm doing one made outa Southern yellow raht nao. It's a blem body and I haz a blem neck for it as well as a bunch of cheap or free stuff. My goal is to do a Franklin Tele (less than a hunnert bucks) I have everything I need now and it's gonna be 92 bucks total. I'll post pics tonite after I get done sanding the filler.

• Members

I have a LSL T-bone with a sugar pine body.

377827_10150495279239515_1150122377_n.jp

I played a pine LSL a month or so ago - REALLY nice guitar. Also played a bunch of alder or ash Teles that day. Some sounded brighter/darker/better/worse than others. I couldn't really find a correlation with the wood. Too many other variables. The pine, however, was substantially lighter than the ash or alder guitars and sounded killer.

Archived