tone issues with new pickups in strat

markblasco

• Members

I've got a strat with HSS pickups. Earlier I had rewired the pickup switch so that it goes bridge, than neck, then middle. This allowed me to get a bridge/neck combo sound in position 2.

I recently put a crunchlab in the bridge, and 2 Bill Lawrence Wilde noiseless single coils. When doing this, I decided to remove the coil tap in the humbucker, so now in position 2 it doesn't split, it just combines the humbucker and the neck. I balanced the volume so that the bridge is just a tad louder than the neck pickup.

Now, however, when I go to position 2, the sound is 98% neck pickup. It sounds almost identical to the neck pickup alone, there is an ever so slight change to the tone.

Does anyone know why this would be the case? The bridge pickup is definitely at least as loud as the neck pickup, so I'm wondering what could cause it to pretty much disappear when combined with the neck pickup.

If it matters, this is a deluxe power strat, which has a piezo pickup and some sort of built in preamp (although I don't know if it effects the magnetic pickups or not).

• Members

out of phase in postion 2 ? swap the HB leads around and try that. This is just a guess though.

If that was the case, though, wouldn't the sound still be drastically different in position 2? Right now, it's almost as if nothing happens, I have to listen fairly carefully to hear a difference. When I go from position 3 to 4 (neck to neck/mid), the sound difference is quite drastic, and gives me that strat 2 pickup sound.

Archived