1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom

gabe15

• Members

Hey all. I need some help with the value of a 1976 Les Paul Custom. Three piece top and three piece neck. Pancake body. Neck volute. It's got a natural finish, no breaks or bad dings/scratches - normal play wear. It's in pretty good condition. Gold parts are somewhat tarnsihed but everything is orginal but the tuners. They were replaced with Grovers. Frets are pretty worn but still have some life left. Original case included. Can get it for $1850 but it looks like it's a factory second. Under the serial number is a number "2" stamped and no "Made in USA". Is this in fact a factory second? What about value? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

• Members

Yeah, Gibsons with a 2 on the back of the headstock are factory seconds. These are most often minor cosmetic problems, rather than something more serious. After 30 years, the cosmetic issue is probably no longer relevant, but I would pay to have a pro give it a once over to be sure.

As for value, I really have no idea. The 70's are regarded as the worst era for Gibson, but there were still many great guitars made then. I guess it depends on how it plays and all that. I certainly don't know enough to give a value.

I like the volute, and I don't mind the three piece tops. The pancake thing only bothers me if the guitar is stupid heavy or sonically dead, and many are neither.

• Members

Play it first.

Personally I think that 1800 bucks for a Les Paul with those specs (minus the volute...that's a great idea) is a colossal {censored}ing rip off. A serious "bend me over and {censored} me in the ass" rip off.

I think the only reasons why those are that kind of money is because they are the only "old" gibsons most people can afford.

I'm not saying it's NOT one of these seemingly all too common "great" 70's gibsons that everyone seems to have....but considering what you can get for the same money from other companies and even more recent used gibsons......well.....

Anyway...it's up to you.

• Members

I'd not bother about price/specs before this step

yes that is true...hence why it was my very first comment...I mean if you play it and it turns out to be the absolute greatest les paul in the history of the universe then sure......maybe 1800 bucks is worth it.....but if it's just a good les paul? or an average one?

Plenty of those available for a lot less. I think there are a lot of great les pauls out there for less than that kind of money.

• Members

yeah - i've played it. Nice neck with pretty good action. No buzz. It's a pretty good player. As you can see in my signature "I like Les Paul". I've had many over the years but not a 70's Les Paul which I think is pretty cool. If it was not a factory second I would know what to pay but the factory second thing is throwing me off?? Is it worth half as much? 10% less? is there a hard set rule for a factory second value? Thanks!!!

• Members

I think that's a pretty good price for a mid 70's Custom in good condition, even if it is a factory second. Are you buying it to play, or as an investment?

Both - I hope to get it and play it for awhile. I don't hang onto things very long unless it REALLY blows me away. This one might but I wanted to make sure I can get my money back if I decide to sell it a year later.

• Members

Pics?

FWIW,I
:love:
my '74/5 20th Anniversary.

Good luck,mebbe check eBay,also,for better haggling...

I found it on a work trip and it's 5 hours away so i can't get pics until i get back down there in a few weeks (if it's still there). Also, i'm not too up on the 70's stuff but the serial number was stamped in there like they are now and in researching the 75,76 and 77s les pauls had a tranfer used for the serial number?? now i don;t know what to think??

• Members

If you're worried about the value so will the person you try to sell it to....

Great point!! Not enough info so i might just pass. I had it already bought and they were going to get the case and i was messing around with it and that's when i spotted the "2" and no "made in usa". I told them I was sorry but I didn't have enough info on the guitar to go through with it. I felt like a goof but hey...I told them I would think more on it and if they still had it maybe we could work something out.

• Members

Also, i'm not too up on the 70's stuff but the serial number was stamped in there like they are now and in researching the 75,76 and 77s les pauls had a tranfer used for the serial number?? now i don;t know what to think??

I'm far from a LP expert,but the serial numbers were kinda all over the place to my understanding.

I sent Gibson some pics of mine(inc stamped s/n),all I got was:

"This is consistent with a 1974 year of manufacture.Unfortunately,that is as detailed with the dating we can get.The records for the 1970's are unfortunately not complete,so we are often able to provide a date range for instruments built during that time".

Archived