Let's talk about surf guitars

RunJonnyRun

• Members

Always loved the surf instro stuff and lately have been more focused on playin surfy 'billy music. Well, I attempt to play these things anyways. But I'm curious as to what you all think makes up a great surf guitar. What's special about these instruments that lend themselves to the the genre? As far as I gathered if it isn't a strat, some sort of funky shaped offset works well. Single coils mostly and a vintage style trem. While not completely perfect IMO I can get a pretty good vintagey jangly tone out of my iceman with the surf 90 in the bridge and the HB lipstick (coil tapped) in the middle. So guys what are your thoughts on what makes a great surf guitar?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Most folks will point you to Strats, Jazzmasters and Jaguars.

Rick Miller from SCOTS used/s a Danelectro with a Dearmond/Dynasonic in the bridge position for his psychosurabilly.

I use a dynasonic equipped Jet.

• Members

Big, ballsy clean tone with a little too much reverb, single coils and a trem that you can bang on a bit.

Surf music is what made me want to play guitar and I've always used strats though there are a few folks that would have you believe a Jaguar or Jazzmaster is the ONLY way to go. :lol:

• Members

Oh man you can play surf on anything. Some sort of vibrato system helps, but it's not mandatory nor does it need to be vintage.

You can be just as subtle with a Floyd as you can with a Bigsby (If this debate starts again, I will make ANOTHER video of my tuner while doing subtle bends on a Floyd. I've messed around and I can bend the Floyd even more subtly than when you bend on a hardtail by manhandling the neck, any more subtle and the ears would be unable to perceive it).

So yeah, I mean I love surfy guitars. Usually single coils and a vibrato are the standards, and there is a reason, they sound wonderful for surf, and though you can do subtle vibe with a Floyd, it's easier on a vintage style trem like a Jag or Bigsby. I'm just tryna say it's not a hard fast rule.

Humbuckers and a Floyd? all you need it some verb and a decent clean tone.

[video=youtube;SjnV6Kyt1p4]

I'm getting a Fender Cyclone II and am ridiculously excited:

DV016_Jpg_Large_511014.326_red.jpg

Here's one of my favorite surf jams:

[video=youtube;9QMk7gb5HYI]

• Members

Lol. Yes I would very much like to avoid any sort of Floyd vs vintage, bigsby smashing or Floyd smashing. It's been beat to death. I saw ur vid with Floyd. It's good stuff. My good friend Myra from the Evil Steaks uses a cyclone. It sounds awesome!

• Members

Lol. Yes I would very much like to avoid any sort of Floyd vs vintage, bigsby smashing or Floyd smashing. It's been beat to death. I saw ur vid with Floyd. It's good stuff. My good friend Myra from the Evil Steaks uses a cyclone. It sounds awesome!

Word, thanks.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the Cyclone, can't wait to hear the AVRI Jag pickups in person. I've only heard clips. Should be pretty spectacular.

Ugh, I long for a surf side project. I need to get some recording stuff together so I can scratch that itch.

• Members

Cool guitar.

Los Straitjackets fan?

Si. :) They are actually playing in Cleveland on Friday....Was thinking about roadtripping it.

I actually kind of picked this up on a whim on CL just because a friend in NMex has one and loves it. I lucked out and got the Los Straight-jackets one.

• Members

Si.
:)
They are actually playing in Cleveland on Friday....Was thinking about roadtripping it.

I actually kind of picked this up on a whim on CL just because a friend in NMex has one and loves it. I lucked out and got the Los Straight-jackets one.

Gah I just saw that. Man, I wish I had known. I would have totally planned for that and gone. Shit.

• Members

I kind of think there are piece of music marketing that still screw the pooch. I think when you buy something, from iTunes or Amazon, digitally, it should come with lyrics, AND let you turn on proximity location, i.e. tour notification through iTunes. I always seem to find out that a band I love played last weekend after the review appears in the paper.

• Members

I kind of think there are piece of music marketing that still screw the pooch. I think when you buy something, from iTunes or Amazon, digitally, it should come with lyrics, AND let you turn on proximity location, i.e. tour notification through iTunes. I always seem to find out that a band I love played last weekend after the review appears in the paper.

Wouldn't that be awesome. Subscribe to proximity based tour alerts through itunes... that's what I'm talkin about.

Perhaps there's a phone app for that. If not, who knows how to make apps? MAKE ME THAT APP!!!

• Members

Si.
:)
They are actually playing in Cleveland on Friday....Was thinking about roadtripping it.

They were in Annapolis on Wednesday at a really good venue (Ram's Head), but we passed on them because we saw them last October and we were going to see Webb Wilder on Saturday (great show).

The show in October was very good with some really hot performances by Angie Pontani (YouTube search on Angie Pontani is very worthwhile).

• Members

I was goin to mention these actually, as they have recently caught my attention. What about do u like so much?

The neck and the tonal variety. The big red buttons really do work. And, the pictures don't do it justice. You pull this thing out and people go "WHOA! WTF is THAT! COOL!"

• Members

The neck and the tonal variety. The big red buttons really do work. And, the pictures don't do it justice. You pull this thing out and people go "WHOA! WTF is THAT! COOL!"

What do the Nintendo Buttons do on that phazer Captain???

• Members

What do the Nintendo Buttons do on that phazer Captain???

I believe they are individual on/offs for each pick up. No pickup selector otherwise.

Also, I love how the headstock matches the pickguard and not the body. Little quirks like that make for a, visually,great surf guitar. How are the pups on that thing. Any need at all to swap em out? I only ask because visually, at least, I love lipsticks (they sound pretty damn good too).

• Members

Gah I just saw that. Man, I wish I had known. I would have totally planned for that and gone. {censored}.

Playing here tomorrow night. I've actually never seen them, and would like to go, but everyone I go to shows with here has Bonaroo show hangover.

• Members

Songkick - scans your itunes library and will tell you when your artists are coming to town. App for your phone, and a Spotify app, too.

Archived