What collection reasonably covers all the bases?

Blackface

• Members

Someone said something yesterday about no one ever needing more than 12 guitars. I decided to list out a collection that I think would cover all the bases for guitar sounds. Surprisingly, it did come out to 12 guitars if I included acoustics. I had to leave some things out that I'd never use though, like a resonator and acoustic and electric 12 strings.

Electric:

Strat (SSS w/Trem)

Tele (SS Hardtail with Tele Bridge Pickup)

Jaguar (SS Offset)

Les Paul w/ Humbuckers (Solidbod Dual Hum)

Les Paul w/ P-90's Maple cap or not (Solidbody P-90's)

ES-175 (Full hollowbody)

ES-335 (Semi-Hollowbody)

Gretsch (Hollow w/ Filtertrons)

Carvin/Jackson/Charvel/Ibanez (Superstrat w/Floyd style)

Acoustic:

Martin D-28 (Dread with Rosewood)

Gibson Hummingbird (Dread with Mahogany)

Nylong String Classical

My actual guitar collection probably intersects this by about 50%.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't play baseball.

Funny, you hear this all the time. But, most pro shows I go see, the guitarist uses one, two, MAYBE three guitars the whole night.

Last time I saw jimmy page play, he used a Les Paul, an acoustic, and a tele, I believe.

Michael Hedges generally used the same guitar all night. Willie Nelson, Leo Kottke, etc.

Do we really need to make up reasons to want more guitars? Isn't "because it's there" enough? :D

• Members

People should purchase whatever they want that they can afford. Unless you are talking high-end vintage or boutique, guitars are a lot less expensive than collecting some other things (cars, Rolex watches, orchestral instruments such as violins and cellos, etc.)

However, guitars are not a "need" at all. I certainly believe anyone who plays should own one (or several if they so wish.) But the idea that a player "needs" a certain number of guitars to "cover all the bases" is nonsense.

For one thing, if you are playing live, 99% of your audience isn't going to be able to tell the difference or even give a {censored} about what you are playing or your "tone" or whatever.

Second, with all the capabilities we have to change the sound of guitar through varying hand placement and attack and playing style to guitar and amp settings to effects pedals to EQ'ing to modeling equipment, there's no real reason anyone should have to constantly change guitars. There are no "one trick pony" guitars; only one-trick-pony players.

I mean, how far do you take this kind of thing? "Oh man, Leslie West played an LP Jr. on this Mountain track I want to cover. I have to go get a guitar with P-90s right now!"

Obviously there are differences between electric guitars. There's a pretty wide gulf between, say, a Strat and an ES-335. But if you think of most of the players who've inspired us, they are largely known for one iconic instrument. You really can cover a lot of territory with a modicum of equipment.

Again, I see the point of the OP to a degree, and I am overjoyed that there are people with huge, nice collections (that I can drool over!) I don't hold anything against anyone who feels they want or need two dozen guitars or whatever, but one thing that bothers me about this line of thought is that a new player or someone who might be considering taking up guitar might come across discussions like these and think "Well, gee, I guess nobody should take me seriously unless I have tons of cash invested in gear" or "Well, I really want to emulate Clapton, so I guess I need to shell out for an MIA Clapton signature model" or whatever. Nonsense.

One last bit of the rant--it's only really been since the advent of the Internet that it has become common for so many people--many of them strictly bedroom warriors--to desire so many guitars IMO. The Internet world is, I think, largely responsible for the amazing increase in GAS. I used to work radio and book shows at clubs in the Midwest and I got to know many full time professional touring and recording musicians. I got the opportunity to talk gear with many, many folks. I met very few throughout the 80s and 90s who owned more than 3 or 4 guitars. Sometimes they'd take 3-4 on the road with them and they might have a nice vintage piece or two back at home for safekeeping, but the whole time I've been playing from the late 70s up until the Internet became so ubiquitous, I knew (personally or by reputation) very few people who owned many guitars. I think a lot of pros from back then would look at a lot of us and roll their eyes at the rampant GAS.

Of course, there have always been massive collectors as well. John Entwistle comes to mind. Roger Taylor (drummer for Queen) apparently has (or had) a phenomenal guitar collection. I read recently that Steve Miller kept around 450 guitars for many years but that he's now quietly selling off about 2/3rds of them. Keef has said he has thousands of guitars. And there have always been less-famous players who like to have big collections too. And that's fine and dandy.

I guess I just wish there was more of a movement to make the most of what you have and get the most mileage out of something before you just put it aside and go buy more guitars. I think there would be a lot more solid, useful information for old and new players that way.

Apologies for the rant and the "get off my lawn" aspects of it.

• Members

This one has it all - electric tones, and a reasonably convincing acoustic output. Two independent output jacks make it easy.

IMG_1015.jpg

If you really wanted to cover all electric and acoustic guitar sounds, then you could get:

- A superstrat with 24 frets, a Floyd (or similar) with an HSH config

48736_l.jpg

- An acoustic guitar with a preamp system

1fad1ee3-a7d0-4a60-bafd-8b2822cf0596.jpg

- A nylon-string acoustic with a preamp system

DV016_Jpg_Large_1323718601065_A.jpg

That's it. Twelve stringers are more novelty, I think, and therefore about as "necessary" as an electric sitar. You don't really need all the hollow, semi-hollow, P90, etc. tones to get all necessary electric sounds. You would, however, need the 24 frets and Floyd whammy to have the option to do dive bomb tricks.

• Members

Someone said something yesterday about no one ever needing more than 12 guitars.

*raises hand. I can see a gigging fulltime musician making serious cheese or recording studio needing more. However one of my my favorite bands (phish) who headlined bonnaroo this year seems to carry three guitars and I've only seen himplaying something else once, on film, at a studio. Great band live, mostly guitar based, and you never see him holding anything but the same guitar. Same pedal rig and amps for 20 years too mainly.

Let' see; you'd want a nice acoustic an acoustic twelve string, maybe a back up, a strat, a ric, a les paul, a tele, an sg, a fly, a double neck sg or something like that, a boutique or a shredder, a lap steel or two, maybe a baritone but I've never wanted one, whats left? I mean you can name something I'm sure, but everything should be covered, right? Especially with modeling these days (which I am not really a fan of yet but some of these new boxes make my jaw drop).

• Members

visual aesthetic has no impact on tone. unless you hear with your eyes.

That's true, but I want a guitar that looks cool too.

I suppose that I should have added nobody needs more than one guitar. Most people that have only one sound associated with them use a handful of guitars at most. I don't intend this thread to be about the minimum or maximum guitars that you need, it's more about what's a reasonable collection that has a broad spectrum of sounds.

• Members

That's true, but I want a guitar that looks cool too.

what's cool is different to everybody.

I suppose that I should have added nobody
needs
more than one guitar. Most people that have only one sound associated with them use a handful of guitars at most. I don't intend this thread to be about the minimum or maximum guitars that you need, it's more about what's a reasonable collection that has a broad spectrum of sounds.

i picked the Adrian Belew model because it has magnetic, piezo, and midi outputs; in addition to built-in variax circuitry and a sustainer. it won't just sound like any guitar you want, it'll sound like anything you want.

• Members

Here's the list:

ESSENTIAL GUITARS:

- solid body electric single coils

- solid body electric humbuckers

- big hollow body electric

- acoustic guitar

- 12 string electric

- 12 string acoustic

- bass guitar

Seven is all one needs.

I have those above. Anything I bought after that was just decadent and greedy.

• Members

It really depends how picky you are and how lazy you are. Electric guitars sound more like each other than different. One is enough to cover a wide range of tones with a little tweaking of volume and tone controls on guitar, pedal and amp.

If you ask me, there is more need for a variaty of acoustics than electrics.

• Members

It really depends how picky you are and how lazy you are. Electric guitars sound more like each other than different. One is enough to cover a wide range of tones with a little tweaking of volume and tone controls on guitar, pedal and amp.

If you ask me, there is more need for a variaty of acoustics than electrics.

Agreed on all points. Especially the acoustic guitar point. It doesn't seem like the average person on this board has more than one or two acoustic guitars, which is surprising given the number of electric guitars a lot of people here have. I think the woods used have more of an impact in acoustic guitars than they do with electric as well.

Archived