Weird Ass Yamaha NGD (or I officially have a serious problem)

calclown

• Members

In an effort to ease my move, I've been trying to unload my 12 extraneous guitars. Yesterday I finally sold one of my basses. Today? Today I was on craigslist for literally 10 mins and ended up with this weirdo.

Strings were rustier than the pg screws are (and pickup magnets!)

What a funky lil guitar though. I had to right?!

IMG_20120611_162214.jpg

• Members

Yup... it seems there was some good LSD in Japan in the 60's. Yamaha came out with a bunch of crazy designs in those heady days.

Oddly enough some of these older Yamahas are rising in value these days. Cool score, btw!

It's an EGV103, if I'm not mistaken?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-guitars/egv103ypf/?mode=model

• Members

That's a 90s reissue of the SG from the 60s - though the model you have is an adaption made to be much like a Strat. Original 60s models like the SG5A had a top mount trem, bound neck, and different pickups. (3 single coils, though 2 were together and there was a blend knob.)

I've owned both the guitar and bass versions from the 60s - pretty funky stuff. Regret selling the guitar, though the bass I didn't gel with so much.

I'd pick up a 90s reissue just for the samarai headstock. Score.

• Members

Yup... it seems there was some good LSD in Japan in the 60's. Yamaha came out with a bunch of crazy designs in those heady days.

Oddly enough some of these older Yamahas are rising in value these days. Cool score, btw!

It's an EGV103, if I'm not mistaken?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-guitars/egv103ypf/?mode=model

Yeah it's an egv103. Pretty sure these sold new with amp for $100 so ya based on what i paid it has appreciated :lol: but i doubt this low end model will ever be worth much. Those originals look super cool!

I realized later i turned the tuners the wrong way. I guess because of the headstock shape the string is supposed to turn around the high side, unlike a strat or tele.

• Members

Mine is a '67 SG7 as they were called then.

I first bought one simply because it looked so weird - in a pawn shop, maybe thirty-five years ago, for less than a hundred pounds. I didn't really know anything about guitars - I was simply smitten.

1240YamahaSG7.jpg

That first one - which was red - was stolen, and this replaced it, for about the same price. For a long time it was my only electric. It has the lowest action of any guitar I've ever owned, and is very smooth to play. Perhaps a bit too smooth. I think I would have developed faster as a guitarist if it had fought back a bit more.

I saw on a Japanese site that one of these sold recently for more than three grand. Not that I have any intention of selling it ever.

• Members

Negative Nancy here...... That is one of the ugliest guitar shapes I have ever seen, and want to light that guitar on fire.

My taste in guitar shapes is hardline conservative - LP, SG, Strat, at a push Tele, and I'm trying to love the Jag thing. Apart from that, I'm pretty sniffy about pretty much everything else, prettywise.

But there's something about this shape - the counterintuitiveness of it, perhaps - that appeals to me, although I'd have to agree that, in some ways, it's ugly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Mine is a '67 SG7 as they were called then.

I first bought one simply because it looked so weird - in a pawn shop, maybe thirty-five years ago, for less than a hundred pounds. I didn't really know anything about guitars - I was simply smitten.

1240YamahaSG7.jpg

That first one - which was red - was stolen, and this replaced it, for about the same price. For a long time it was my only electric. It has the lowest action of any guitar I've ever owned, and is very smooth to play. Perhaps a bit too smooth. I think I would have developed faster as a guitarist if it had fought back a bit more.

I saw on a Japanese site that one of these sold recently for more than three grand. Not that I have any intention of selling it ever.

That one is the real deal, I think. I read somewhere that some of the samourai models had one of the most sophisticated trem/vibrato to be had.

Archived