I'm obsessed with Go-Go's.

honeyiscool

• Members

It's sort of a well known fact around my close friends that I generally only listen to girl music, and playing music with girls means they're generally always delighted to jam out on Bangles or Pretenders or whatever. Somehow, though, I've always missed out on the Go-Go's other than "We Got the Beat," so I guess I'm 30 years late to the party, but their first album is pretty damn sweet from beginning to end.

[video=youtube;5OULlWNCqDQ]

Not to stereotype too much but this is why I think I like music made by women so much. I mean, try to deny or counter me all you want, but men and women are different, and the music they create often vibe very differently. (Band dynamics are different, too.)

So I really dig how the Go-Go's never try to be any smarter musically than they need to be and focus on the important stuff, the groove and the melody. They do surprise you, sometimes, though. For instance, in that song, "Our Lips Are Sealed," the E major comes out of nowhere. Anyway, I like this band.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I always thought they put out some fun party tunes. The only reason I wasn't interested in playing it is that I haven't worked a lot with female vocalists, but I can see how these would be attractive songs if I did...

• Members

Ah The Go-Go's. They were a party band and their tunes reflected that. But like alot of those acts including The Bangles, they ended up hating each other and didn't last long.

And then ended up patching it all up when the 1980's revival hit.

I've always enjoyed female singers and bands.

Just a couple of faves:

[video=youtube;ohiRxoakhog]

[video=youtube;0P-8P5fevuY]

[video=youtube;3fhur6g8_BM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fhur6g8_BM

Okay, Neko gets two songs . . .

[video=youtube;zXl870NoF4E]

• Members

They were a decent band, but they really struggled sometimes live. I worked a show of theirs last year, and they actually had improved their live act......................The REAL Rocker.

Sometimes things don't go over as well live when studio musicans play the stuff on the actual recording!

• Moderators

They were a decent band, but they really struggled sometimes live. I worked a show of theirs last year, and they actually had improved their live act......................The REAL Rocker.

I saw them maybe ten years ago and they were terrific live- great energy, really tight playing, and lots of witty stage banter. Pretty memorable show.

Archived