Fender custom shop deluxe strat 2011

Chris.novak

• Members

So I had a baby last year and decided it would be cool to buy him a guitar made on the year he was born and give it to him on his 18th birthday. He's only 9 months old but already smiles when I get the guitar out and is already strumming the guitar with a pick!!

Anyway after lots of searching I found a great sunburst custom shop strat. It will be going into storage until he is 18 but I really wanted to put his name on it somehow. But I don't want it to be cheesy. His name is quite a mouth full as it is. Phoenix sacha Novak!

I was thinking PSN on the scratch ala srv but too cheesy. Maybe on the back of the headstock? PSN is too much like pissin?

Just wanted some ideas from you guys :-)

• Members

He has a drum and loves it. But even if he doesn't play guitar properly I thought it would be a cool thing to have.

We found out a few months ago we have another one on the way now too!!!! Means I'll have to get him a 2012 model. Or if it's a her, a doll house.

• Members

He has a drum and loves it. But even if he doesn't play guitar properly I thought it would be a cool thing to have.

We found out a few months ago we have another one on the way now too!!!! Means I'll have to get him a 2012 model. Or if it's a her, a doll house.

don't be sexist...get her a guitar too!

• Members

I was just kidding about the doll house!!

Boy or girl I was thinking of getting the next one a custom shop tele deluxe.

I have to say though. The day I got the guitar I must of played maybe 20 strat and appart from a yiri masterbuilt the 2011 deluxe was the one that stood out sound wise. It has mojo!

• Members

I was thinking neck plate too btw. Just wondered if there was any other ways like burning it into the back of the headstock or something.

I think the neck plate idea is really cool, but if you want to put something on the headstock you could always do a waterslide decal. Plenty of places online to have them custom made with anything you want on them. And they're easy to install yourself. It might be cool to add the birthday of your son on there, too. Whatever you decide to do, I think the guitar is a great idea!

• Members

I think the neck plate idea is really cool, but if you want to put something on the headstock you could always do a waterslide decal. Plenty of places online to have them custom made with anything you want on them. And they're easy to install yourself. It might be cool to add the birthday of your son on there, too. Whatever you decide to do, I think the guitar is a great idea!

Brith date is a great idea thanks man. What's a waterside decal? Will it wear off?

• Members

Yea he's pretty good. Completely re finished a vintage les Paul I have and it looked stunning. Once it's done it's going into storage though which will be hard! The guitar is just stunning to play. Very much a modern strat but it will be very much a vintage(ish) strat by the time he gets it!

• Members

Congrats...

I think a custom neck plate would be awesome.

Then play it for 18 years, so it's good and worn in, THEN give it to him! I think it would mean something to him that you gave him a guitar you had a connection with as well... and then you get a new guitar in 18 years, WIN!

• Members

Yea he's pretty good. Completely re finished a vintage les Paul I have and it looked stunning. Once it's done it's going into storage though which will be hard! The guitar is just stunning to play. Very much a modern strat but it will be very much a vintage(ish) strat by the time he gets it!

I wouldn't just put it away and not play it at all. But, then it would be hard to keep a secret if it's around the house for him to see the next 18 years, too.

I guess I could help ya' out if you wanna' store it here

• Members

I did a parts build a few months after my son was born - a jazz bass, I named after him. (finding time in the evenings to assemble it was the tricky part!). Unfortunately, my son seems to play lefty - and the bass is right handed. Doh! Oh well, it was never meant to be just his. I always imagined he'd get ALL my guitars some day (man I hope he learns to play righty, for his sake!).

Btw - instead of a custom shop Strat, you could buy something like a MIM Classic Player, and give it to him when he's 13. Something he can learn on and play through high school.

At 18, most kids go off to college, leaving their expensive guitar at home (or risk getting it stolen in the dorms) anyways.

• Members

I did a parts build a few months after my son was born - a jazz bass, I named after him. (finding time in the evenings to assemble it was the tricky part!). Unfortunately, my son seems to play lefty - and the bass is right handed. Doh! Oh well, it was never meant to be just his. I always imagined he'd get ALL my guitars some day (man I hope he learns to play righty, for his sake!).

Btw - instead of a custom shop Strat, you could buy something like a MIM Classic Player, and give it to him when he's 13. Something he can learn on and play through high school.

At 18, most kids go off to college, leaving their expensive guitar at home (or risk getting it stolen in the dorms) anyways.

• Members

You would not believe the guitars I see all the time kids sell when they go off to school. Saw a LP JR the other day, finish stripped off top, in a pawn shop. Took about 3 weeks from kids fathers death to the guitar being ruined and sold. You don't appreciate anything at 18.

Nice gift though. Maybe you got a good one who will appreciate it, and congrats!

(I'd give it up about age 24, lol)

• Members

See I was thinking give it to him on his 21st but here in England the big boys birthday is 18. At 18 I was playing pointy guitars through a 5150 at full gain. It wasn't until I hit 30 that I started to appreciate clean tones and blues, jazz etc.

He will also be gettin other guitars as he gets older if he shows interest. But nothing like the price of a custom shop! I wanted to pack it away so it was like the closet classic. Like new but old. And all his. I'll be putting some classic guitar albums in with it so he is inspired.

Archived