How are you celebrating the 4th?

• Members

Grillin, chillin, roasting, sweating, then checking out a local band before the fireworks (if they don't get called off due to the fact that it's been 105+ for a week and hasn't rained in 2 weeks.. Fire dept is a bunch of wusses!) and funnel cake.

• Members

Grillin, chillin, roasting, sweating, then checking out a local band before the fireworks (if they don't get called off due to the fact that it's been 105+ for a week and hasn't rained in 2 weeks.. Fire dept is a bunch of wusses!) and funnel cake.

No fireworks here because of burn bans. It hasn't rained here in almost 2 months.

• Moderators

4th of July is my AA birthday and this year I'm 3.

I'll be going to a meeting and thanking God for smiling on me and helping me to keep sober a day at a time:thu:

Hope you all have a great day however you choose to spend it, and if you can't love the one your with, I hope you're with the ones(s) you love

• Members

I will be in Knoxville, Tennessee (a nearby town, actually) hanging out with my father's side of the family for the first time in ~5 years. My grandma is pushing 80 and I'm not sure how many more chances to see her I will have, although she is still very active and seems exactly as I remember her mentally when I talk with her on the phone, so I figured I'd tag along with my dad this time. I'm gonna bring my acoustic so I can jam with my cousin a little bit, try to get him to teach me some bluegrass & rockabilly tunes. Other than that, I'll be consuming some of Tennessee's finest herbage as well as some mean moonshine my uncle Lonny makes every year. I hit the road in about 5 hours, I can't wait to be back down there with family I haven't seen in much too long. I am trying to stay up all night so I can sleep through Ohio. Not a fan. And no, I am not driving.

Edit - Have a picture of my beat to {censored} SX acoustic.

mh6esj.jpg

Yes, that is a pick I made from a first year Toonie. I enjoy destroying Canadian currency that finds its way across the river/lake.

• Members

Tomorrow I plan to hang out at Great Lakes Navel base all day, Black Oxygen, Emphatic, New Medicine, Taproot, Hurt and Halestorm are playing...it's close to home and it's free.

Wednesday stay at home, BBQ and play guitar.

You folks?

Heh, I've been to a free Taproot concert once. Wasn't a ton of people there. The singer came into the crowd a few times during the songs, it was kind of cool, I guess. They had a group of dwarves as their opening act. They weren't a band, but a sideshow type thing. They had people from the audience come on stage and hurt the little guys. One of the little dudes put a shooting range target on his ass and had people come on stage to throw darts at it, closest to the bullseye won $10 or something. I got up there and Brett Favre'd that {censored} into his thigh on accident, then he made me pull it out because I sucked so much. He looked a lot like the dude in Jackass 3 that gets into a fight with WeeMan in that one skit. I think it's the same guy, they have some kind of tiny person union or something. Another one drank a beer pitcher full of the other dwarve's piss for $50 from the audience. Needless to say, the small people put on a more memorable show than Taproot. Taproot was pretty ok. Had a bunch of technical problems and their bassist couldn't get in tune to save his life.

Yes, I do not like the "M" word. Deal wif it

• Moderators

Heh, I've been to a free Taproot concert once. Wasn't a ton of people there. The singer came into the crowd a few times during the songs, it was kind of cool, I guess. They had a group of dwarves as their opening act. They weren't a band, but a sideshow type thing. They had people from the audience come on stage and hurt the little guys. One of the little dudes put a shooting range target on his ass and had people come on stage to throw darts at it, closest to the bullseye won $10 or something. I got up there and Brett Favre'd that {censored} into his thigh on accident, then he made me pull it out because I sucked so much. He looked a lot like the dude in Jackass 3 that gets into a fight with WeeMan in that one skit. I think it's the same guy, they have some kind of tiny person union or something. Another one drank a beer pitcher full of the other dwarve's piss for $50 from the audience. Needless to say, the small people put on a more memorable show than Taproot. Taproot was pretty ok. Had a bunch of technical problems and their bassist couldn't get in tune to save his life.

Yes, I do not like the "M" word. Deal wif it

Does that stuff really still exist in this age?:freak:

• Members

Does that stuff really still exist in this age?
:freak:

Yup, Nu-Metal is still around.

But as for the sideshow opening acts, they were doing various acts of stupidity for about an hour. It was much better than having a lame opener. They also had people come up on stage and use heavy duty staple gun to staple money to a tiny guy. Some chick paid $50 to staple said $50 to a dwarven taint, at least he had the decency to have her do it through his underwear. There was another freak show that went on after them, but they were more a little more legit, the typical body hooks, sword swallowing, bed of nails, human woodblock, light bulb eating variety, but taken to a level that is more than the norm. They had a hot green haired chick that wore a suit of balloons and some dude with black eyes used blow darts to pop them all while she did some crazy fire juggling. It was not for the weak of stomach. I had a pretty good time at the show, it was a week after my 21st birthday so needless to say I was pretty drunk the whole time. Don't remember quite as much about Taproot.

• Members

Does that stuff really still exist in this age?
:freak:

[video=youtube;eShXvAyfFjM]

As the 4th July is not a public holiday here, and I'm not American (and so while I appreciate the meaning behind the holiday I don't really feel quite right 'celebrating' it, given how I feel about {censored}in' plastic paddys on St Patrick's....), I won't really be marking Independence Day in a big way As it happens, though, I'm taking the afternoon off to go to an eight hour recital of The Great Gatsby, the single finest novel in the English language. I'll also be remember the birthday of one of the greatest cats in the world, who would have been turning 31 had he lived. The old bugger has been terrorising rats, mice, birds and dogs four times his own size in kitty heaven since 1993 now, and I still miss him terribly.

Archived