Best way to cut slot for 5-way blade switch?

HanSolo

• Members

I have a Super Strat style body with rear mount controls that I need to cut the slot for a Strat 5-way switch. From what I have seen, these appear to have been been cut with a small circular blade. The slots look beveled at both ends like a circular blade plunge cut.

Is there a Dremel attachment that will do this? he body is routed for rear mounted controls and the top is thin in that area.

• Members

there is a dremel attachment that looks like a mini circular saw, it has a little bit of width to it and may do the trick. i would think it'd be pretty hard to get it straight though, may be if you tape a piece of metal to the pickguard and use it as a guide.

• Members

Yes, my first choice would be one of those dremel saws. One of those oscellating tools with a wood blade might work as well. I'd practice first on something else before attempting in on your guitar. Both of those tools could mess up your guitar in a split second.

42815-03-200.jpg

• Members

Are you cutting a pickgaurd or into the wood? If wood, I would look to see if a Rotozip bit is the right width, it may be the easiest to use. They will fit in a Dremel tool, as I used them that way for home repairs. If into plastic, you can probably do the same, but I have used the Dremel cutoff wheels and files to clean up the slot.

Archived