Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to cut slot for 5-way blade switch?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to cut slot for 5-way blade switch?

I have a Super Strat style body with rear mount controls that I need to cut the slot for a Strat 5-way switch. From what I have seen, these appear to have been been cut with a small circular blade. The slots look beveled at both ends like a circular blade plunge cut.

Is there a Dremel attachment that will do this? he body is routed for rear mounted controls and the top is thin in that area.
    "I've got a briefcase of thin air. I can play some tricks on you, pretend that I don't care." The Contrast

there is a dremel attachment that looks like a mini circular saw, it has a little bit of width to it and may do the trick. i would think it'd be pretty hard to get it straight though, may be if you tape a piece of metal to the pickguard and use it as a guide.

Comment

Yes, my first choice would be one of those dremel saws. One of those oscellating tools with a wood blade might work as well. I'd practice first on something else before attempting in on your guitar. Both of those tools could mess up your guitar in a split second.

Please visit my website www.treeguitarworks.com

Comment

use a rotozip with a blade attachment. works like a charm for me everytime

Comment

Are you cutting a pickgaurd or into the wood? If wood, I would look to see if a Rotozip bit is the right width, it may be the easiest to use. They will fit in a Dremel tool, as I used them that way for home repairs. If into plastic, you can probably do the same, but I have used the Dremel cutoff wheels and files to clean up the slot.
          I have been playing for 33 years, I'm not any good. Common sense, its not so common anymore.

WANTED: 1984 Aria Pro II RS Inazuma- I, Black with red lightning bolt, single humbucker.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. A trip to Home Depot should do it.

Here's the body:

"I've got a briefcase of thin air. I can play some tricks on you, pretend that I don't care." The Contrast

Comment

/\nNice
              My RigMy avatar-

Comment

Router
                All there really is, is virtue and vice.

Comment

Working...
                X