I am gassing for this signature series Stratocaster. Please stop me (or convince me)

codecontra

• Members

So I've got that horrible "got to have it" feeling for this Dave Murray Stratocaster. Problem is that I will have to sell a nice Larrivee acoustic and a basically brand new American Standard Strat to be able to get it (plus cash out of pocket).

I play mainly rock and metal. Love Strats, but find single coils not great for metal. Love Maiden.

So what say you? Clips on Youtube sound pretty bad ass. Price is a bit steep, but not too bad considering. Would I be better off just throwing a Hot Rails into my current Strat? But that alone is going to cost me around $200 for the pickup, new caps, and cost to install (can't do it myself).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-dave-murray-stratocaster-electric-guitar?src=3WWRWXGB

2nv4gih.jpg

2im3nsp.jpg

• Members

Get a super distortion bridge pu, a new hss pickguard for $10, and a soldering iron. Total cost under $100 and much easier install than you think it is. Bridge pup isn't connected to a tone so you don't need new caps or anything. Or just sell em all and buy the damn thing!

• Members

Get a super distortion bridge pu, a new hss pickguard for $10, and a soldering iron. Total cost under $100 and much easier install than you think it is. Bridge pup isn't connected to a tone so you don't need new caps or anything. Or just sell em all and buy the damn thing!

The bridge pup isn't connected to the tone knob??

• Members

The bridge pup isn't connected to the tone knob??

Classic wiring it is not, but new American Standards it is. I played with it at the store and the "no load" feature seems to work quite nicely.

"Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. No-Load Tone Control (Middle and Bridge Pickups)"

• Members

Classic wiring it is not, but new American Standards it is. I played with it at the store and the "no load" feature seems to work quite nicely.

"Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. No-Load Tone Control (Middle and Bridge Pickups)"

Ok I did read something about that. It's just a wire going from the second pot to the first or something right? Pretty easy to change? And the no-load, does that mean it thinks it isn't connected to a 250k tone pot when it's at 10? Curious because I have a newer Amstd as well

• Members

Ok I did read something about that. It's just a wire going from the second pot to the first or something right? Pretty easy to change? And the no-load, does that mean it thinks it isn't connected to a 250k tone pot when it's at 10? Curious because I have a newer Amstd as well

Yep. do you notice that click when it hits 10? that takes the tone pot out of the circuit.

• Members

When you feel that click at 10 I'm pretty sure all that's happening is the resistance in the pot goes to infinity, removing it and the tone cap from the circuit. Same thing as if you had a classic-style circuit with no bridge cap at all. It sounds really good. I played a 2011 American Standard that had it and I liked the adjustability it gave to the bridge pickup. It doesn't sound like a compromise at all, just gives you that cap-free open raw sound plus allows you to cut a bit of the treble bite when you want to.

• Members

Yeah, the ONLY reservation I have is having to give up some of my gear. It would talke a lot to swing the $1,700. The Larrivee I could live without because I rarely play acoustic anymore. But then I would have to sacrifice either my LP Studio or American Standard sunburst. And even then I would be about $400 out of pocket.

I might try throwing a Hot Rails in my current Strat just for the time being. I know it's not a Super Distortion, but Dave used Hot Rails equipped Strats for years. Then maybe try to save up for the thing.

• Members

Yeah, the ONLY reservation I have is having to give up some of my gear. It would talke a lot to swing the $1,700. The Larrivee I could live without because I rarely play acoustic anymore. But then I would have to sacrifice either my LP Studio or American Standard sunburst. And even then I would be about $400 out of pocket.

I might try throwing a Hot Rails in my current Strat just for the time being. I know it's not a Super Distortion, but Dave used Hot Rails equipped Strats for years.
Then maybe try to save up for the thing.

Sensible. I've only ever regretted getting rid of stuff.

• Members

Cool guitar, I think HSH is the end all, be all, of pickup configurations, but at $1700 I think you can find an equal guitar for under a grand. Unless you have money to burn, but then you wouldn't be asking our permission.

A used mint, charvel so-cal and swap out the pick guard to HsH would do the trick, as would any MIA strat on the market.

As for you stating that you can't do the work yourself, that is like saying you can't tie shoes because you don't know how. You can do it, you just have to learn, it's a very easy thing to do.

Archived