Scale length and playability

datru

• Members

I've seen a lot posted over the years about preference regarding scale length. Many times people prefer one over another for playability and of these many speak of having more room on the fretboard.

I have mostly 24.75" scale guitars and a Strat with 25.5." I suck equally playing all of them, but can't say that I notice a difference when it comes to "roominess."

So today I measured the LP and the Strat at the 5th fret and the 12th, center of the fret bar to center of the next fret bar. At the 5th fret it was about a 1mm difference, the the 12th it was closer to half that.

Does that really make a difference in feel or is this more of a psychosomatic thing? I'm the first to admit that a better player than I might feel a difference, so I'm not saying anyone out there is full of it. Just wondering what your experience is.

• Members

I was just about to post how weird it is that a lot of retailers and makers seem to leave off something far more important imo, and that's the nut width...the difference between cramped, comfortable and too huge feeling is a way, way bigger deal than scale for me...

• Members

i've found that the difference in scale length isn't how that 3/4" makes your fingers spread out. it's how it changes the string tension and how you respond to that change in string tension. it's just one more piece to the puzzle.

This. Bends/vibrato feel very different to me on the LP scale length and I adjust accordingly.

• Members

I don't notice more room in the frets, but I do notice a slight difference in the string tension. I have .11s on all of my guitars and the shorter scale necks are a little easier on the fingers. It's not much, but it's there. A 24" neck on the other hand is very noticable to me. I over-bend notes like crazy on a Mustang or Jaguar.

• Members

Makes no difference.

/thread

(and can we not talk about scale length again until 2013 plox?)

It definately makes a big difference. As in the ways described....string tension, tone. Some LP guys have a tough time bending on a tele or strat. It makes them wince.

I agree there is little difference in playability. But there is SOME...up high on an LP...gets a little cramped. But it is a small difference. I admit.

String tension def has an impact on tone, as well. Huge, even, and this does affect how an instrument is played.

Come back in 2013...and I promise we will have it all worked out!:thu:

• Members

If you regularly fret more demanding jazz-type chords on the first five frets than the scale length difference between 25.50" and 24.00 is substantial.

However if you play the usual blues-rock-distortion-recycled-wank and thus never get much past power chords and open chords, then it probably would not matter much about scale length.

• Members

I can feel a difference in tension. I have several of both 24,75 and 25,5 scale instruments, and move between them without any real effort. I go up one string gauge on the shorter scale guitars to compensate for the slight different in feel. Really, a little less than one full gauge, as I use heavy bottom 9 gauge sets on the long scale, and straight 10s on the short stuff.

That said, I really dislike the 24 inch short scale fenders. Part of it is the same 'feel' issue in tension, but they really do feel more crowded to me in terms of spacing.

• Members

I can feel the difference in tension between scale lengths, and also the difference in string gauges. I remember on one occasion in a store, I could feel that a guitar was out of tune (half step down) despite that my ears werent developed enough to tell...

That all said, I like to mix it up a lot- keeps things interesting, and keeps me on my toes. I go between my gibsons, fenders, squier mini strat, fender 3/4 bass and Ric bass all the time. Variety is the spice of life yo.

I also like to mix it up to avoid being caught out. One time, for a gig I had planned on playing my Les Paul, but I had been practicing on my Corgan Strat. At the time of the actual gig I didnt feel comfortable enough to play the Paul :facepalm:

• Members

If you regularly fret more demanding jazz-type chords on the first five frets than the scale length difference between 25.50" and 24.00 is substantial.

However if you play the usual blues-rock-distortion-recycled-wank and thus never get much past power chords and open chords, then it probably would not matter much about scale length.

Well said!

Very well., you seem to know your audience;)

Archived