X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Guitar with a Ring

So, I just got married, and I've noticed that I either have to get used to playing with my wedding band on, or I have to switch it to my right hand (or just take it off) while playing. But I've seen tons of pros play with their wedding rings on; for example, I'm pretty sure Petrucci shreds just fine with his on. Anyway, how long did it take you to get used to playing with a ring on your fretting hand?
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Guitars:</b> 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)<br><br><br><br><b>Pedal Chain:</b> BBE Green Screamer -&gt; MXR Distortion III -&gt; Boss CE-5 -&gt; EH Stereo Pulsar -&gt; Boss DD-20 -&gt; BBE Boosta Grande<br><br><br><br><b>Amps:</b> Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5<br><br><br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/andrewalderman">SoundCloud</a></div>

"honey... how come every time you do a gig at a bar full of hot sleazy drunk women you take your wedding ring off?"

"because it gets in the way when i'm ripping a solo"

"oh.. ok"

"hehe"

Comment

Honestly you will forget its there very shortly.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Guitars:<br />
      2011 Gibson LP Traditional Plus<br />
      2004 Gibson LP Studio Alpine White<br />
      1996 Yamaha 121d w/SD screamin deamon<br />
      2002 Ibanez RG 470 MIJ<br />
      Yamaha Acoustic<br />
      <br />
      Amps<br />
      Marshall JVM 210h<br />
      Vox Valvetronix AD15VT<br />
      Peavey Ultra 60<br />
      BlackStar HT-5 Combo<br />
      BlackStar HT-100<br />
      <br />
      Cabs<br />
      Peavey Ultra 412<br />
      Marshall 1960a<br />
      Marshall MF280<br />
      <br />
      <a href="http://www.facebook.com/sin4sin" target="_blank">http://www.facebook.com/sin4sin</a></div>

Comment

you will have to get used to wearing it in all situations.
        sportsmen put bandaids over them, Keef has a handful of rings as do I.
        Frankly I never noticed it.

Congratulations. Hope you have a happy life together.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Rules for a Happy Life:</b><br />
        Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.<br />
        I am happy with who I am. You do not have to like me.<br />
        <div class="bbcode_container">
        <div class="bbcode_quote">
        <div class="quote_container">
        <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Originally Posted by aenemated <br />
        doc always has been and always will be. He behaves as if he is 18 years old with worlds of wisdom

</div>
        </div>
        </div> 6 senses, 5 cables, 4 different coloured guitars, 3 amps, 2 pedals, 1 footswitch. <br />
        <i><font size="1">Statutory Disclaimer: Any advice I may give is ill-informed and is to be treated with the utmost suspicion.</font></i></div>

Comment

You get used it. Especially once you accept that gold is soft and gets banged up by damn near everything anyway.

Comment

I never got used to it, but divorce helped remedy that problem.

Not that I'm recommending that.
            * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
            My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

play with both

2006 PRS Singlecut Trem Satin Blue Matteo
              2006 Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic 69 Stratocaster
              Eleven Rack
              Kurzweil PC88
              Kurzweil K2600
              DSI Prophet 08
              "http://www.youtube.com/user/mnewb1

Comment

Congrats, and yeah, you get used to the ring with a little time. My only complaint is that the damn thing gets heavier the closer I get to Mordor.

Comment

you do get used to it... the only time i ever take mine off is at the gym

Comment

I'm just as crappy playing with a wedding ring as playing without one.
                    No sig.

Comment

you do get used to it... the only time i ever take mine off is at the gym

mmmmmmmmmm gym bunnies
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><b>Rules for a Happy Life:</b><br />
                      Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.<br />
                      I am happy with who I am. You do not have to like me.<br />
                      <div class="bbcode_container">
                      <div class="bbcode_quote">
                      <div class="quote_container">
                      <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Originally Posted by aenemated <br />
                      doc always has been and always will be. He behaves as if he is 18 years old with worlds of wisdom

</div>
                      </div>
                      </div> 6 senses, 5 cables, 4 different coloured guitars, 3 amps, 2 pedals, 1 footswitch. <br />
                      <i><font size="1">Statutory Disclaimer: Any advice I may give is ill-informed and is to be treated with the utmost suspicion.</font></i></div>

Comment

I hate wearing rings on a regular day let alone while I am playing. So I will often just stick it in my pocket for the time being. However the wife and I have a bit of a love for tattoos so naturally...
                        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin</font></div>

Comment

So, I just got married, and I've noticed that I either have to get used to fapping with my wedding band on, or I have to switch it to my right hand (or just take it off) while whackin' it.

fixed.

Sorry, had to be doneoke:
                          It's 4am woman make up your mind. EITHER SPIT IT OUT OR SWALLOW IT!!!

Comment

My ring spends more time on my dresser than on my finger. BUt even when it is on it doesn't seem to hinder my playing any.

Comment

i take mine off, even when i'm playing at home.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://commonsensemets.tumblr.com" target="_blank">The Common Sense Mets Fan</a><br />
                              <br />
                              <i>There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that &quot;my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.&quot; - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)</i></div>

Comment

Working...
                              X