NRD! (New Rig Day! - Blackstar Content!)

Kuz929

• Members

While I do love my '78 MusicMan, I really wanted something with some more bawls, but I didn't have a lot of cash so I looked at some low wattage heads.

I was a bit hesitant getting something low wattage since I play pretty loud music, but all the reviews said 20 watts would be more than enough. And damn, it was! It didn't break a sweat keeping up. Not even one bit. Don't know why I thought I HAD to have at least 45 watts :facepalm:

So, I snatched up this Blackstar HT20 head for only $400 brand new on Ebay. WOW what a steal! I just had my first gig with it tonight and really got to put it through the paces. It passed with FLYING colors. The clean channel is wonderful. I was worries because I used to tell myself the only cleans for me were chimey, sparkly Fender cleans, but this thing has a darker clean that seems to be *just on the edge of breakup at whatever volume you set it on, but never fully overdriven. A very thick, clean sound.

The crunch channel F****G ROCKS! That ISF knob is something else. It really does go from Mesa Dual Rec on one end, to full on JCM on the other side. Very cool.

And to top it all off, I got a brand new Orange 2x12 for dealer cost, since we carry them ;)

All told, I only spent $700 on this entire rig and it sounds so much better than the $1500 Rivera I used to have.

All in all, very very satisfied :thu:

TLDR; here are pics :D

7572459488_e1156d2efc_c.jpg

7572460182_ba7a445ed6_c.jpg

7572460984_9f3fc57147_c.jpg

• Members

thanks guys!

Yea, I'm incredibly impressed by the blackstar. grandslam homerun IMO.

And i'm pumped I finally have just a cab now so I can just buy heads in the future :D Just planning ahead for future GAS attacks :lol:

• Members

Blackstar is my main rig as well! Congrats on the new rig. Try playing with some pre-amp tubes to really bring out the character of the amp.

thanks for the suggestion... have you tried anything? what do you have in there now? I was thinking of taking it to my amp tech anyways and having him give it a bit of a once-over.

• Members

Right now I have the stock power section. Haven't had any issues with them yet. I changed the pre-amp section to a Mesa SPAX7 in V1 and Mesa 12AX7 in V2. Worlds of difference. It brought a lot of clarity and definition to the amp even at almost maxed levels. I tried Ruby's and JJ's but they made it a little bright for my taste. I had an EH gold pin from tube depot I tried in V1 and that was fun for a more mid range'ish rock tone especially with the ISF full right.

• Members

The other plus w/a head, btw, is your tubes aren't getting peppered with sound waves and *should* technically, last longer and not rattle as much.

Never thought of that but it definitely makes sense. This is my first head/cab amp and I'm diggin' it so far. It may be one more trip to the car during load-in, but its worlds lighter than my old combo!

unrelated note - did you sell that rivera? I found the footswitch when I was moving. I'd be happy to mail it to you

• Members

unrelated note - did you sell that rivera? I found the footswitch when I was moving. I'd be happy to mail it to you

Appreciate the offer, but I traded it a while back.

So what does that ISF knob do? From the description is sounds like it does something to the tonestack?

• Members

Appreciate the offer, but I traded it a while back.

So what does that ISF knob do? From the description is sounds like it does something to the tonestack?

Just curious, what did ya get for it ;)

As for the ISF - in terms of technical specs, I really wouldn't know what to tell you :lol:

but from a player's perspective, it seems to be an extra mid sweep. More throaty / plexi-like on the right, more high mids and mesa type OD on the other side.

I've got to get my 4 track board back so I can make some clips for you guys

• Members

I did look into them, but I have never gotten the chance to try a jet city. I tried a blackstar combo once, and loved it. So I ordered this one pretty much based on that.

I actually just got home from another gig with it and it jut reaffirmed my love for this rig :love:

• Members

Just curious as I am looking for a low watt tube head for metal and wanted to know if you compared it to the jet city jca20 or 22h head. Both the blackstar and jet city amps seem to get really good reviews.

I tried a JCA20 and liked it. It has more high end "sizzle" I guess is the best way to put it. the Blackstar would probably be better for metal. It has a more modern voicing. The Blackstar amps have no fizz or flub in the tone at all. Thats why I like them so much :love:

Archived