Vox AC30C2 vs, AC30CC2-What are the differences between these two amps?

gt5litre

• Members

OK I know about the fact that the CC (Custom Classic) has a plywood cabinet, the ability to combine the two channels, Wharfedale speakers, while the C2 has an MDF cab, two channels that can't be combined, Greenbacks etc.. I believe the amp chassis are very different and have heard that reverb is better on the newer C2 version.

So what are the real differences between these two amps and do they sound similar or not? I have played the CC2 combo and head, but it was several years ago.

gt5litre

• Members

The CC2 has many more options. Behind this amp is a ton of switches that really offer a billion options. Can set the amp for vinatge tone, modern tone, hot, warm (increase/decrease headroom, save tube life), stuff like that. But up front is the best option - the ability to link the Top Boost and Normal channel. Everyone with this amp makes great use of this.

The new version does not have all those nice options and settings. It does have a higher grade speaker and best of all, changing tubes is a lot easier than in the earlier model.

As far as sound? No one has ever had a Eureka moment with these two models and said, "Wow, that one sounds so much better than the other!" So basically the difference between the two is you are getting more options with the first model.

• Members

Here is my take on the differences, as an owner of a (modified) CC2, and someone who has tried the C2.

THE CC2

I bought my CC2 for about 2/3 of its listed price, as it had been on the shop floor a while/had been brought back. Everything about it seemed fine in terms of things being in working order. I didn't like the speakers enormously, and since I had had it quite cheaply (I was actually after an AC15 when I saw it, but it seemed such a bargain), I decided to upgrade the speakers to UK Celestion alnico blues. I also swapped out the preamp and power tubes for JJs. I changed the reverb tank for an accutronics - much improved. Finally, I took out the bright cap (although now, I probably wouldn't bother to do that again).

This amp is wonderful - I have gigged with it for over a year, it has never let me down, and sounds absolutely superb, especially with guitars with P90s and low output humbuckers. As the person above said, the ability to link both channels at the flip of a switch is something I use all the time - it allows me to quickly alter levels of gain/tonality for different songs, which also respond differently to changes in guitar volume. I also really like the options on the back panel, although I generally have it set to 22watts, and on the 'modern' option. It has loads of sag, and responds wonderfully to playing dynamics.

C2

I agree entirely with the person above, that the main advantages of this are the speakers that come stock (greenbacks - sound very solid); and the ability to get to the tubes. However, that latter issue is really not such a great thing IMO, since you just have to put the time in to change out the tubes in a CC2, and it is not the kind of job you would really want to be doing in a hurry in any case (or necessarily very often). Apart from that, I can't see anything other than slight disadvantages, the big one being the fact that you have to jumper the two channels, to achieve channel mixing... the CC2 allows you to do it more conveniently with the flick of a switch.

Aside from that, I think the two combos are pretty much the same. I am sure, if my CC2 blew up, I would manage with a C2, and probably be happy with it, but it would need some adaptation in use of the channel mixing.

• Members

I have an older AC30TBX made before they moved production to China. They were made at the Marshall plant in Bletchley, but production costs were getting out of hand so Vox moved production to China. The stakes were really high to see if a Chinese Vox could still sound like a Vox, so they put a LOT of work into the CC2 to get it right. And they did get it right. But as we all know, the depression hit and even the move to China couldn't keep the costs down far enough, so the C2, essentially a downgraded CC2 with fewer features and lower specs came to light. it's a very good amp in its own right, but for true Vox afficionados, it's subtly less toneful than the CC2.

Here's my take for what it's worth. I own five Vox amps. AC15's and 30's like to be cranked before they start giving up the good stuff. Even my handwound AC15TV1H is so freaking loud at club gigs that I can't get it into the tone zone without an attenuator. And with the attenuator, things like ply vs. mdf are not going to make themselves known. AC30's are some of the loudest amps on the face of the earth. Again, the cabinet materials are meaningless unless you're Brian May. The most important thing is the speaker (s) and Celestion Blues are the sound of Vox amps. So any AC30 should have Celestion Blues (or one of the cheaper cloned alternatives) and it will improve the tone noticeably, whether it's a C2 or a CC2.

• Members

I was just packing up my gear for my church gig tomorrow and I thought about something remarkable. The AC15cc1x that I've kept there for for 6 years has been a dependable workhorse. I figure that between gigs and rehearsals, it gets at least 200 hours of work per year so we are talking about 1200 plus hours so far. I've changed tubes three times and it's been thru a few HT fuses, but it still sounds and looks great. Wonder if the current lineup is as good? Not bad for $599!

Archived