How do you use your guitar tuner

jds22

• Members

I know this sounds like a stupid question but I'm serious.

This is in regards to using an electric tuner of some sort.

I've heard some say that they tune to the initial pick attack before the note falls flat. Others let the note ring for a few seconds and tune to that.

I've also read somewhere that some tune each string a few cents off from each other.

Is all of this just BS or is there really a proper way to use an electronic tuner?

• Members

according to the instructions on the ones I've had, use the initial strike, being careful to pluck lightly so that you aren't plucking the string sharp. So I do light multiple picking and tune to that. I always fine-tune by ear to my playing after using a tuner.

• Members

according to the instructions on the ones I've had, use the initial strike, being careful to pluck lightly so that you aren't plucking the string sharp. So I do light multiple picking and tune to that. I always fine-tune by ear to my playing after using a tuner.

^ This. ^

I always fine tune after using a tuner.

• Members

It's just an aid to me...I ultimately trust my ears.

This works until you are on a stage in front of five thousand people.

If your goal is to ever play live and not look like an amateur, then you will have to learn to trust your tuner.

The only thing worse than dead air in a show, is bands audibly tuning between songs. It screams amateur.

A couple of a second little tweak here or there audibly is acceptable and can even be part of the show, particularly dropping from E to D on the E string, etc, but for the most part, no one wants to hear you tune.

And, yes, I know some pros still do it, but in my opinion, even they sound like amateurs while they are doing this.

Definitely use your ears, develop them, and you should be able to tune your guitar without a tuner.

But on stage, you are going to need to learn to trust your tuner in mute mode.

You should be checking your tuning regularly live, minimum every few songs or so, even if you think it sounds in tune, and if you are doing this without a tuner in mute mode, you are going to drive the audience crazy.

• Members

If your goal is to ever play live and not look like an amateur, then you will have to learn to trust your tuner.

The only thing worse than dead air in a show, is bands audibly tuning between songs. It screams amateur.

A couple of a second little tweak here or there audibly is acceptable and can even be part of the show, particularly dropping from E to D on the E string, etc, but for the most part, no one wants to hear you tune.

And, yes, I know some pros still do it, but in my opinion, even they sound like amateurs while they are doing this.

Definitely use your ears, develop them, and you should be able to tune your guitar without a tuner.

You should be checking your tuning regularly live, minimum every few songs or so, even if you think it sounds in tune, and if you are doing this without a tuner in mute mode, you are going to drive the audience crazy.

+1000

• Members

Turbo Tuner

The end.

PS. Makes a great mute switch, too.

Agreed, the best tuner currently available by a long shot. Literally changed my life.

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/

I usually tune after every 2 or 3 songs. Hit the foot switch on the Turbo Tuner to mute my signal and quickly check each string. I flip to the neck pickup, pluck the string gently with my thumb (close to the neck) while muting the other strings. The Turbo Tuner locks on the note REALLY fast so I can tune my guitar in like 30 seconds. I also no longer have to "fine tune" with this tuner after tuning.

• Members

I forgot where I read it,maybe the Seymour Duncan site but I could be wrong but I have been doing this. Neck pup with the tone pot rolled all the way down.

Kind of this for me but I was told many years ago to tune with the guitar set to the bridge pickup with the tone rolled all the way down and if there's no tone pot on the guitar, at least turn the volume knob down to 5 or 7... basically anything to get rid of the prominent attack.

• Members

I said, it's an aid to me...not that I don't use one. What I mean by that is I tune with a tuner first, then adjust with my ears. As far as playing to 5K people, well NO I've never done that, but I did play in front of a few thousand all the time in the late 70's...before we had tuners. So I can attest to the fact that it certainly can be done.

• Members

I forgot where I read it,maybe the Seymour Duncan site but I could be wrong but I have been doing this. Neck pup with the tone pot rolled all the way down.

Yep, this does the job on the wound strings but I find that the bridge p'up works best for the plain strings.

Tune and give the string a tug and let it snap free. Repeat this process until the tuning stays put. This equalizes the pressure on both sides of the nut/etc.

Archived